This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This vegan bbq chickpeas recipe is satisfying, quick, and also so easy to make! In addition, it is gluten free, perfect for a bbq chickpea sandwich, wrap, salad, and serving with rice!
You can use your favorite bbq sauce to make this recipe and also use a healthier version to keep the sugar level low. I got the inspiration from my vegan baked beans recipe for the sauce but this one is a lot quicker to make.
Before we jump into the recipe, let's talk about how you can customize it and also learn some tips.
How to make Vegan BBQ Chickpeas
We will be using canned chickpeas so make sure to rinse and drain. Since you don't need to cook them from scratch, this recipe comes together so fast.
BBQ Sauce & Ketchup
Some barbeque sauces have so much sugar but there are some healthier ones out there. You can also make your own vegan bbq sauce! We will also add some ketchup into the sauce.
Onion powder and Garlic powder
Using both onion and garlic powder gives so much flavor. You can also use garlic cloves if you prefer.
Maple syrup, Apple cider vinegar and Brown mustard
To balance out all the flavors, we will be adding maple syrup, vinegar and brown mustard. You can sub brown mustard for dijon mustard if you like.
Sriracha and liquid smoke (optional)
I love spicy food so I added Sriracha but you can omit it. I also love the smokey flavor so liquid smoke works great.
How to Make it
- You will start by adding all the ingredients except chickpeas into a bowl and then mix well.
- Now, add the sauce to a skillet over medium-low heat and cook for a couple of minutes. And then add the chickpeas to the skillet, cook for 5 to 7 minutes until the sauce is thickened. Serve with rice, make into a sandwich, wrap or add it to buddha bowls.
Tips & Variations
- You can make it spicy by adding more Sriracha or using red pepper flakes if you like.
- You can cook the sauce down until desired consistency.
- Always adjust to taste and then add salt if needed!
Frequently asked questions
Yes, make sure to cook them really well until they are soft.
I recommend sticking to using BBQ sauce since the flavor is completely different.
Yes, that will work!
How to store it
You can store these vegan bbq chickpeas in the fridge by placing it in an airtight container. It should last 4 to 5 days so it's great for meal prep!
This recipe is flavorful, quick, and also very easy to make. In addition, it is:
- Gluten free
- Great for a quick lunch
- Also so delicious!
More plant based chickpea recipes to try
- Sweet and Sour Chickpeas
- Chickpea Avocado Salad
- Vegan Chickpea Meatballs
- Chickpea Tomato Spinach Curry
- Chickpea Stir Fry
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This vegan bbq chickpeas recipe is satisfying, quick, and so easy to make! It's is gluten free, perfect for bbq chickpea sandwich, wrap, salad and serving with rice!
- ⅓ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard or dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- In a medium bowl, add the BBQ sauce, ketchup, onion powder, garlic powder, maple syrup, vinegar, mustard, salt, Sriracha, liquid smoke and mix well.
- Transfer the sauce to a skillet over medium-low heat, cook for 2 minutes. Add the chickpeas to the skillet, cook for 5 to 7 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Serve with rice, make into a sandwich, wrap or add it to buddha bowls.
Make it spicy by adding more Sriracha or using red pepper flakes if you like.
You can cook the sauce down until desired consistency.
Always adjust to taste, add salt if needed!
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 162
- Sugar: 16.3g
- Sodium: 674.4mg
- Fat: 1.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 31.5g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 4.9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan bbq chickpeas, bbq garbanzo beans, vegan barbecue chickpeas recipe