These vegan pulled BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches are healthy, satisfying, and so easy to make! They are gluten-free, cooked in a pan, quick, and can be made into sliders.
- 1 (20 oz) OR 1 + 1/2 (14 oz) can young green jackfruit in water (NOT in syrup)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 to 3 tbsp water (optional to thin the sauce)
- 2 servings of vegan coleslaw
- 2 buns (gluten-free if preferred)
- More BBQ sauce for topping
- Rinse, drain, and dry the canned jackfruit. Using your hands to pull it apart or chop it and then add it in a bowl.
- Add the garlic powder, smoked paprika, maple syrup, liquid smoke, and salt into the bowl with jackfruit and combine.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the oil and seasoned jackfruit. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the barbecue sauce to the pan, mix it and cover. Lower the heat and cook on low heat for 20 minutes. If the barbecue sauce is too thick, add a couple of tablespoons of water to thin it out.
- Uncover the pan, raise the heat to medium and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes stirring around. Remove from the heat.
- Place coleslaw on the bottom sandwich buns (gluten-free if preferred) and top with a generous serving of pulled BBQ jackfruit. Optional: add more barbecue sauce for serving.
Chop the jackfruit pieces as big or small as you want.
If you are using jackfruit in brine, I highly recommend soaking the pulled or chopped jackfruit in water for a few hours to get rid of the brine taste. Don’t forget to drain and rinse again before cooking it.
Make the coleslaw while jackfruit is cooking.
To make them spicy, you can add cayenne or crushed red peppers.
Always adjust to taste, add more salt if needed.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 378
- Sugar: 63.3g
- Sodium: 636mg
- Fat: 8.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 77.3g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: BBQ pulled jackfruit sandwiches, BBQ Jackfruit, Pulled Jackfruit, Vegan jackfruit Sandwiches