This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This is the best homemade guacamole recipe because it is healthy, easy and quick. In addition, this Mexican inspired guacamole is naturally gluten-free and vegan so everyone can enjoy it!
As you can tell from my blog name, avocados are my favorite food to eat! I eat a lot of avocados but guacamole is my favorite snack because it is very easy to make and taste so fresh.
I know this is the best homemade recipe because anytime someone tries it, they always ask for the recipe.
It is a perfect snack and also it's a crowd-pleaser at potlucks and gatherings. I will give you some tips on how to make the best guacamole so you can enjoy it and share with others.
HOW TO PICK RIPE AVOCADOS
Avocados will make or break your guacamole recipe so it is very important to pick good avocados. Here are some tips:
- The first thing to look for when selecting a ripe avocado is the color. If you want to use the avocado right away, look for darker color ones (almost black). If you are not using it right away, look for light green avocados so you can store it for a couple of days before it ripens.
- Even when the color looks right, you should also squeeze the avocado gently to make sure it is firm but not too hard. You also don't want it to be too soft, it should have a slight give to it.
- You should also check the skin and stem to find the perfectly ripe avocados. The skin should have some texture but there should be no bruises. In addition, you should make sure that the stem is still attached.
Here is a great source to learn how to choose and use an avocado.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST HOMEMADE GUACAMOLE
After you select the perfectly ripe avocados, the rest is so easy! You can refer to the guide above for how to pick ripe avocados.
Green onions (Scallions)
Because I don't like the taste of raw onions as much, I use green onions (scallions) to achieve the mild onion taste without using onion powder. You can also use red onions or yellow onions instead.
I used roma tomato but you can also use cherry tomatoes or heirloom tomatoes. Make sure to remove some of the juice if the tomatoes are juicy so you won't have watery guacamole.
Cilantro gives this recipe that authentic taste but if you don't like it, you can omit it. I know some people really dislike cilantro so customize it as you like.
Jalapeno or Serrano pepper
Jalapeno or Serrano pepper gives a really nice kick so I recommend it. If you don't like spicy, you can also remove the seeds.
Freshly squeezed lime juice gives this guacamole that tangy flavor but you can use lemon juice instead. I don't recommend using bottled lime juice though because I think the flavor doesn't taste fresh.
How to make best homemade guacamole recipe step by step
- First, cut the avocados in half and then remove the pit using a spoon. Now you can scoop out the avocado flesh in a mixing bowl and mash the avocados with a fork.
- After the avocados are mashed, you can add the green onion, tomato, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, salt and mix it.
Homemade Guacamole Tips and Variations
How to make guacamole chunky or creamy
- If you want to make your guacamole creamy, make sure to mash the avocados really well and chop the ingredients very small.
- If you are like me and you like it chunky, you don't need to mash the avocados as much and make sure that you are leaving some chunks. You can also chop the ingredients a little bigger.
How to make guacamole spicy
To make this guacamole spicy, I suggest adding a small number of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. You can either chop the chipotle pepper in small pieces or use the chipotle sauce that comes in a can.
You can also add cayenne, chipotle or chili seasoning. Adding another jalapeno will make this recipe spicy as well.
How to store it
Even though it is best to enjoy it right away, you can place your guacamole in an airtight container and smooth out the top with a spoon. Squeeze a little bit of lime juice over the top, cover, and place it in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
Uses for Homemade Guacamole
- Eat it with tortilla chips!
- Top your jackfruit tacos
- Dollop on vegan burrito bowls
- Add it to your burritos or your favorite plant-based dishes!
It takes less than 10 minutes to make this quick, easy and delicious guacamole. This best homemade guacamole recipe is:
- And perfect for topping so many dishes!
More Vegan recipes that use avocados
- VEGAN AVOCADO CREMA (HEALTHY & EASY)
- SIMPLE GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE (FOR BEGINNERS)
- STUFFED SWEET POTATOES (VEGAN & HEALTHY)
So did you make this recipe? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This is the best homemade guacamole recipe because it is healthy, easy and quick. It is gluten-free and vegan so everyone can enjoy it!
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 green onion (diced)
- 1 roma tomato (diced - if juicy, remove some of the juice)
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper (finely diced -remove seeds if preferred)
- 1 tbsp lime juice (fresh)
- ¼ to ½ tsp himalayan sea salt or sea salt (adjust to taste)
- Slice the avocados in half. Remove the avocado flesh with a spoon and scoop it to a small mixing bowl.
- Mash the avocados with a fork.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix everything together. Enjoy!
Make sure to use fresh limes instead of bottle version.
For creamy guacamole, chop the ingredients very small and mash the avocados well. For chunky version, keep the ingredients bigger and don't mash the avocados as much.
If the tomatoes have a lot of juice, remove some so it won't turn watery.
To make it spicy, use more jalapeno, chipotle on adobo sauce, chipotle seasoning or cayenne, and chili powder.
Always adjust to taste!
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 122
- Sugar: 1.3g
- Sodium: 152.8mg
- Fat: 10.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 7.7g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Protein: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: how to make guacamole, best guacamole recipe, easy guacamole recipe, homemade guacamole