This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This is the best creamy oil free hummus recipe because it is healthy, and so easy to make. In addition, it is vegan, gluten-free and plant-based!
After guacamole, homemade hummus is definitely my favorite snack so I was determined to make the best one! Since most of the store-bought ones contain a lot of oil, I always felt like that was unnecessary.
I tested this recipe so many times and I am so happy to report that I made the creamiest version with using no oil! Let's learn a little bit more about it and then I'll show you how you can make this delicious snack.
What is Hummus
It is a creamy, healthy Middle Eastern dip that is made mostly using chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) and a few other healthy ingredients such as tahini. When you make homemade, you will not go back to eating store-bought!
How to make oil free hummus
Because we are not using any oil to make this recipe, there are a few things to pay attention to.
Chickpeas and liquid in the can (aquafaba)
You need two cans of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) but you'll need to reserve the liquid (aquafaba) that comes in the can. So, the liquid that remains after boiling legumes called aquafaba. This will ensure that we have a fluffy and creamy hummus so it's the secret ingredient!
I used 2 cloves of garlic but be careful adding extra, raw garlic can be very overpowering.
Freshly squeezed lemon juice makes this oil free hummus taste so good but you can sub for lime juice. However, I don't recommend using bottled lemon juice because it really doesn't taste fresh.
Instead of adding oil, we will be adding cold water to make sure the ingredients are blending well.
I usually use Pink Himalayan salt but you can use regular sea salt as well. Also, always adjust the salt to taste!
How to make it step by step
- First, add all the ingredients to your high-speed blender.
- And then using the tamper, mix for 50 to 60 seconds on high until smooth.
- You can add more chickpea liquid (aquafaba) or water for creamier hummus if desired. Always adjust to taste!
Tips and variations
- So, if you really want to make creamy hummus very easily, you will need to use a high-speed blender such as Vitamix. Vitamix is the most used and loved kitchen appliance in my house so I think it is the best investment you can make for your health!
- Always adjust to taste so you might need to add more lemon juice or salt to achieve the taste you want.
- If the hummus is too thick, you can also add some water slowly to make it smoother. If it is too runny then you can add more tahini to make it a little thicker.
Since hummus is so versatile, here are some variations you can make using this recipe as a base.
To make this delicious recipe spicy, you can add some spices such as cayenne, chili or chipotle powder into the blender. Another option would be adding a little bit adobo sauce or you can add the chipotle pepper that comes in the can.
You can add different herbs such as parsley or cilantro into the blender so you can enjoy different flavors.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
You can also add a couple of roasted red peppers before blending to enjoy roasted red pepper flavored hummus.
How to use it
- Top falafels bowls
- Add it to buddha bowls
- Dipping fresh vegetables
- Eat with pita bread or falafel sandwiches
- Pairing with roasted vegetables and much more!
How to store it
It will last for up to a week in the fridge if kept in a sealed container. You can also use this recipe for meal prep!
It takes less than 5 minutes to make this quick, easy, and creamy snack. It is also:
- Healthy & Homemade
- Customizable & Ultra Creamy
- Meal prep-friendly
- And perfect for topping so plant-based many dishes!
More Vegan sauces & dips to try
- BEST TAHINI SAUCE RECIPE (EASY & CREAMY)
- VEGAN AVOCADO CREMA (HEALTHY & EASY)
- THAI PEANUT SAUCE RECIPE (5-MINUTE)
- HOW TO MAKE TZATZIKI SAUCE (VEGAN & EASY)
- WHITE BEAN DIP
- CHIPOTLE HUMMUS
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This is the best creamy oil free hummus recipe because it is healthy, and so easy to make. It is vegan, gluten-free and plant-based!
- Add all the ingredients to your high-speed blender and using the tamper, mix for 50 to 60 seconds on high until smooth.
- Add more chickpea liquid (aquafaba) or water for creamier hummus if desired. Enjoy!
For thinner consistency, add more water.
For thicker consistency, add more tahini.
Always adjust to taste!
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 218
- Sugar: 0.2g
- Sodium: 464.3mg
- Fat: 13.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19.6g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Protein: 8.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: how to make hummus, homemade hummus recipe, oil-free hummus, easy hummus recipe