This vegan black bean quinoa burger recipe is healthy, satisfying, hearty, and so easy to make! It's gluten-free, baked or cooked in a pan, and is simply the best!
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 (15 ounces) can black beans (rinsed and drained well)
- 1/4 onion (chopped small)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (chopped small)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 flax egg (3 tbsp water plus 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (another high smoke point oil)
- Cook the quinoa if you haven't already.
- In a small bowl, make the flax egg by adding ground flaxseeds and water and mix well. Let it rest for 5 minutes until it has a gel consistency.
- In the meantime, chop the onion and bell pepper very small.
- In a large bowl, add the black beans and mash them with a fork but leave some of them whole for texture.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except oil) to the mashed beans including the flax egg, and then mix well until combined.
- Form the mixture into 4 burger patties, place it on a tray and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes before cooking. Do not skip this step!
- Heat up the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, cook the burgers on both sides for a few minutes until brown. Cook them 2 at a time, avoiding overcrowding the pan and moving them around too much.
- Lay the patties on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush each patty with oil, and then bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Flip the burgers halfway through, so that they bake evenly on both sides.
Add the burger in a bun (gluten-free if preferred), add the toppings. Enjoy!
Add any spices or herbs you like such as parsley, cilantro, or chili powder.
Make them spicy by adding cayenne or crushed red peppers.
Grill them using a grilling tray if preferred.
Always adjust to taste, add more salt if needed.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 1.2g
- Sodium: 587.8mg
- Fat: 7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 42.2g
- Fiber: 8.6g
- Protein: 10.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Veggie burger, vegan burger, black bean burger, clack bean quinoa burger