This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This creamy vegan chipotle hummus is the best because it is so easy to make and healthy! In addition, it's gluten free, homemade, spicy, and quick to make.
This spicy chipotle hummus dip is made with simple ingredients but it's so flavorful. It makes an amazing veggie dip and it's also delicious with pita chips, bread, or as a sandwich spread.
I already have an oil free hummus recipe, simple homemade hummus and buffalo hummus recipe but this is a great way to change up the flavors. You can eat it with homemade falafel or dollop on falafel bowls so it's versatile.
Before we jump into the recipe, let's talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
How to make vegan spicy chipotle hummus dip
Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
We will be using canned chickpeas so this recipe comes together very fast. You will need to make sure that you drain and rinse the chickpeas.
Tahini is the secret ingredient to make this recipe so I don't recommend omitting it. You should also make sure to use good quality and pourable tahini as it makes a difference.
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
We will be using the chipotle peppers and adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. You can adjust to taste and add less or more depending on your spice preference.
Freshly squeezed lemon juice gives it a tangy flavor so I don't recommend omitting it. You can also use lime juice if that's what you have.
Olive oil and salt
Adding olive oil makes it very creamy and also makes it easier to work with. Always adjust to taste and then add more salt if needed.
How to make it
- First, rinse and drain the chickpeas and then add all the ingredients into a high speed blender like Vitamix.
- Next, blend until you have the desired consistency. If you like the consistency to be thinner, you can also add a little more water. But, always adjust to taste and serve.
How to use it
There are so many ways to use it but here are some ideas:
- Serve it with pita bread or pita chips.
- Dip veggies, crackers, falafel or top your falafel bowl.
- Use it as a sandwich spread or on bagels.
- After blending, place it in the fridge for an hour so it will be cold and get thicker.
- If the recipe is too thick, you can also add more water.
- Make sure to use a high-speed blender and not a food processor if you want to make it very creamy and smooth.
- Always adjust to taste and then add more salt if needed!
How to store it
You can store it in the fridge, covered, for up to 1 week. It even tastes more delicious as it cools down!
Frequently Asked Questions
It won't be as creamy but you can try. You'll probably need to add more water or tahini to make it smooth.
Yes, as long as you cook them completely and keep the proportions the same.
I don't recommend substituting the tahini since it's a key ingredient.
This homemade dip recipe comes together in 5 minutes and it is very easy. It is also:
- Gluten free and Soy free
- Smooth & Ultra Creamy
- Also so delicious!
More plant based sauces & dips to try
- BEST TAHINI SAUCE
- AVOCADO CREMA
- WHITE BEAN DIP
- FRENCH ONION DIP
- BEST HOMEMADE GUACAMOLE
- VEGAN BLACK BEAN DIP
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This creamy vegan chipotle hummus is so easy to make and healthy! It's gluten free, homemade, spicy, and quick to make.
- 2 (15 oz) cans of garbanzo beans (rinsed and drained)
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 to 2 chipotle peppers and 1 to 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (adjust to taste)
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cup to 1 cup water (adjust)
- ½ teaspoon salt or more
- Add all the ingredients into a high speed blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
After blending, place it in the fridge for an hour so it will be cold and get thicker.
If the recipe is too thick, add more water.
Make sure to use a high-speed blender and not a food processor if you want to make it very creamy and smooth.
Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed!
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 247
- Sugar: 3.6g
- Sodium: 378.1mg
- Fat: 14.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 22.2g
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Protein: 7.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan chipotle hummus, spicy hummus recipe, chipotle hummus recipe