This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This vegan chocolate banana overnight oats recipe is easy, healthy, gluten free, and also a perfect breakfast! In addition, it's naturally sweetened, peanut butter flavored, and made in a jar!
Adding mashed banana makes these overnight oats so creamy and also delicious! The best part is that you can customize it and make it as sweet as you like.
I love starting my day with a healthy and wholesome breakfast so this recipe is perfect along with my green smoothie, chia pudding, or smoothie bowl. You can easily incorporate this healthy breakfast to your morning routine and also meal prep it!
But, before we jump into the recipe, let's talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
What are Overnight Oats?
It is made from oats soaking in liquid so you don't have to cook the oats. The liquid is usually a type of milk and also you will need to soak it at least 2 hours to overnight to be able to achieve consistency and make them soft and creamy.
Do you eat chocolate banana overnight oats cold?
Yes! You can eat them cold which makes them perfect for meal prep and for summer. But you can also heat it up as well if you want to enjoy a warm breakfast.
How to make vegan chocolate banana overnight oats
Oats and Chia Seeds
If you are gluten free, I recommend gluten free rolled oats but make sure you are not using instant ones! White or black chia seeds will work for this recipe but I usually use black ones.
Banana & Cacao Powder (sub for Cocoa powder)
We will be using a half of a banana for the oats but you can save the other half for topping. For chocolate flavor, you can either use cacao powder or cocoa powder.
Plant Based Milk
Maple Syrup & Peanut Butter
Maple syrup gives a sweetness but it doesn't make it overly sweet. Also, adding peanut butter works amazing but you can sub for almond butter if you prefer.
How to make it
- First, you will need to mash the banana in a small bowl.
- And then add all the ingredients in a large mason jar, mix it to combine really well. Place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight so it can get creamy and delicious.
- You can add any toppings you like and it's ready to enjoy!
Tips & Variations
- You can try adding ½ tsp vanilla extract for vanilla flavor.
- Also, you can add chocolate protein powder in the mix and add chocolate chips!
- If the consistency is too thick, you can add more milk so it won't be as thick.
- You can add cacao nibs for even more chocolate flavor as well!
- Top it with banana slices or any other fruit you like.
- Add some crunch with almonds, walnuts, or cashews.
- Drizzle peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter.
How long does chocolate banana overnight oats last?
It will last in the fridge for up to 4 days so make sure to store it in sealed airtight jars or containers. You can also meal prep them for a quick make-ahead grab and go breakfast or snack option.
It's so easy to make this dairy free, gluten free, and also versatile chocolate peanut butter banana overnight oats. They are also:
- Perfect for meal prep
- Chocolaty and Satisfying
- And delicious!
So, did you make this recipe? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, Selin
More healthy vegan breakfast recipes
- DETOX GREEN JUICE RECIPE (FOR BEGINNERS)
- VEGAN SHAKSHUKA
- HOW TO MAKE GRANOLA (HEALTHY & EASY)
- BAKED OATMEAL RECIPE
- VEGAN BREAKFAST BURRITO (EASY & HEALTHY)
- HOW TO MAKE A SMOOTHIE BOWL
This vegan chocolate banana overnight oats recipe is easy, healthy, gluten free, and a perfect breakfast! It's naturally sweetened, peanut butter flavored, and made in a jar!
- ½ banana (save the other half for topping)
- 1 cup rolled oats (not instant, gluten free if preferred)
- 1 ¼ cups unsweetened plant based milk
- 2 to 3 tbsp maple syrup (adjust to taste)
- 1 tbsp and 2 tsp cacao powder (sub for cocoa powder)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp peanut butter (sub for almond butter)
- Add half of a banana in a small bowl and mash well.
- Add all the ingredients in a large mason jar (including the mashed banana), mix it to combine really well. Place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight. Add toppings and enjoy!
Try adding ½ tsp vanilla extract for vanilla flavor or add chocolate protein powder in the mix and add chocolate chips.
If the consistency is too thick, add more milk.
Add cacao nibs for even more chocolate flavor as well!
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 17.4g
- Sodium: 188.7mg
- Fat: 12.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 56g
- Fiber: 8.6g
- Protein: 11.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan overnight oats, chocolate peanut butter overnight oats, banana overnight oats