This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This vegan coconut chia pudding recipe is easy, healthy, gluten-free, and also a perfect breakfast! In addition, it’s naturally sweetened, customizable, made with coconut milk, and only 4 ingredients.
Coconut milk makes this chia pudding recipe very creamy and adds a slight sweetness and also the wonderful coconut taste! The best part is that you can customize it and make it as sweet as you like.
I love starting my day with a healthy and wholesome breakfast so this coconut chia pudding is perfect along with my green smoothie or smoothie bowl. You can easily incorporate this healthy breakfast to your morning routine and also meal prep it!
But, before we jump into the recipe, let’s talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
What is Chia Pudding?
It is made from chia seeds that are soaked in liquid to create a pudding-like consistency. The liquid is usually a type of milk and also you will need to soak it at least 20 minutes to overnight to be able to achieve consistency.
What Does Chia Pudding Taste Like?
Chia seeds do not have any flavor so the pudding will absorb the flavors from the other ingredients you use such as sweetener or the liquid. It has a thick, creamy tapioca pudding texture but you can make it smooth by blending it in a blender.
How to make vegan coconut chia pudding
White or black chia seeds will work for this recipe but I usually use black ones. This recipe will only work with chia seeds and not any other type of seeds because they will absorb the liquid and have the texture we need.
We will be adding unsweetened canned coconut milk to make this coconut pudding. You can use light or full fat but keep in mind light coconut milk won’t be as creamy.
Maple syrup gives a sweetness but it doesn’t make it overly sweet. Also, feel free to adjust the amount and add more if you find the recipe not sweet enough.
Shredded Coconut (optional)
To give even more coconut flavor, you can also add shredded coconut. If you don’t add it, it won’t change the recipe ratio so feel free to omit it.
How to make it
- First, you will need to put all the ingredients in a medium bowl and then mix it to combine. Let it sit for about 5 minutes but give it a stir every minute or so to avoid any clumping. After 5 minutes, cover and place it in the fridge for 1 hour or overnight so you can achieve the perfect texture.
- You can add any toppings you like and it’s ready to enjoy!
Tips & Variations
Since this pudding recipe is so versatile, here are some variations you can make:
- Try adding 1/2 tsp vanilla extract for vanilla flavor.
- Add another sweetener of choice instead of maple syrup.
- Also, try adding chocolate chips or a couple of tablespoons of cacao powder for chocolate chia pudding!
Coconut Chia Pudding Topping Ideas
- Top it with fresh fruit such as strawberries, banana, blueberries, or mango slices.
- Add some crunch with almonds, walnuts, or cashews.
- Drizzle peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter.
- Top it with some plant-based yogurt!
Is Chia Pudding Good for you?
Chia pudding is good for you because chia seeds have many health benefits as you can see in this article. They are filled with healthy nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants and they may also help with weight loss.
How do you thicken the chia pudding with coconut milk?
If this recipe isn’t thick enough, just add more chia seeds to the mixture and then let it sit a bit longer. But keep in mind, it will get a lot thicker as it sits so give it some time before troubleshooting.
What if it is too thick?
If you find the consistency too thick, then you can add a couple of tablespoons of milk and give it a stir. You can also do this for the leftovers since they will most likely get thick.
How to store it
This vegan coconut pudding will last in the fridge for up to 4 days so make sure to store it in a sealed airtight container. You can also portion it into individual servings for a quick grab and go breakfast or snack option.
It’s so easy to make this quick, dairy-free, gluten-free, and also versatile vegan coconut chia pudding. It is also:
- Naturally sweetened
- And delicious!
So, did you make this recipe? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, Selin
More healthy vegan breakfast recipes
- DETOX GREEN JUICE RECIPE (FOR BEGINNERS)
- HOW TO MAKE GRANOLA (HEALTHY & EASY)
- BAKED OATMEAL RECIPE
- VEGAN BREAKFAST BURRITO (EASY & HEALTHY)
- HOW TO MAKE A SMOOTHIE BOWL
This vegan coconut chia pudding recipe is easy, healthy, gluten-free, and perfect breakfast! It’s naturally sweetened, customizable, made with coconut milk, and only 4 ingredients.
- Mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Let sit on the counter for 5 minutes, giving it a stir every minute or so to avoid clumps.
- Cover and place in the fridge to firm up for 1 hour or overnight.
- Remove and enjoy with toppings.
Add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract for vanilla flavor.
Use another sweetener of choice instead of maple syrup.
Try adding chocolate chips or a couple of tablespoons of cacao powder for chocolate chia pudding!
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 308
- Sugar: 17.1g
- Sodium: 21.8mg
- Fat: 20.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 29.6g
- Fiber: 9.2g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: how to make chia pudding, chia pudding with coconut milk, coconut chia pudding, chia pudding, chia pudding recipe