This is an easy vegan falafel recipe because it is made out of canned chickpeas, baked or air-fried and healthy. In addition, it is gluten-free and perfect for falafel bowls or falafel sandwiches!
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) (rinsed, drained and patted dry)
- 1/4 cup parsley (or cilantro)
- 1 onion (yellow or white) (diced)
- 4-5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp walnuts (or other nuts)
- 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour (or sub for all-purpose)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp salt (more to taste )
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or sub for another high-smoke point oil)
- Add all the ingredients except oil into a food processor or blender.
- Mix/pulse until it resembles a moist dough (not wet or dry, see photo in the post).
Instructions for baking in the oven
- Optional: Place the dough in the fridge for at least 1 hour to chill for firmer texture.
- Using a cookie scoop or hands, shaped the dough into 1 tbs size of balls. Press them down gently to flatten.
- Heat a large iron skillet or a pan over medium heat. Heat 2 tbsp of avocado oil (or other high smoke point oil).
- Cook the falafel 2 minutes on each side. Place them in the oven to bake for 10 minutes at 425 F.
Instructions for air-frying (recommended)
- Using a cookie scoop or hands, shape the dough into 1 tbsp size of balls.
- Cook them at 350F for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
Cooking time may vary depending on the air-fryer model.
For extra crispy falafel, spray the balls with oil or a nonstick cooking spray before baking.
- Serving Size: 12
- Calories: 77
- Sugar: 0.8g
- Sodium: 203.6mg
- Fat: 4.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 8.1g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Protein: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: how to make falafel, falafel recipe, baked falafel recipe, air fryer falafel recipe, homemade falafel recipe