This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
I will show you how to make coleslaw that is vegan, so easy, and also creamy! In addition, it's gluten-free, quick to make, and perfect for summer picnics and gatherings.
This vegan coleslaw recipe is light, flavorful, and so much healthier than store-bought because you can control the ingredients. It's a perfect summer side dish for baked beans or BBQ jackfruit sandwiches.
The best part is that it comes together in less than 10 minutes and also tastes better when it has time to sit. It's a crowd-pleaser so take it to your next summer BBQs, picnics and potlucks.
Before we jump into the recipe, let's talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
Can vegans eat coleslaw?
Traditional coleslaw recipes usually call for mayonnaise so they are typically made with eggs. Since we will be using vegan mayo, it will be vegan friendly!
How To Make Coleslaw
Green and Red cabbage
A combination of green and red cabbage gives great color, texture, and taste but you can just use green cabbage instead. You can also buy precut cabbage for a shortcut.
Adding shredded carrots gives this vegan coleslaw a classic taste so I don't recommend omitting it. Perfect color, crunch taste in this recipe!
We will be making the dressing with vegan mayo but you can use homemade mayo or storebought. Make sure you are using a good quality one since it will make a difference.
An ingredient that provides a little tangy flavor but gives depth. I love using brown mustard in my recipes because it gives a unique taste!
I usually use pink himalayan salt in my recipes but you can use sea salt. Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed.
Maple syrup gives just a little sweetness but it's not overly sweet. You can also sub for another sweetener of choice if you would like.
Lemon Juice & Apple Cider Vinegar
Both of these ingredients provide a little tanginess for this homemade coleslaw. I recommend using fresh lemons because the bottle version does not taste fresh.
Celery Seed gives that unique taste classic coleslaw has so I highly recommended.
How to make coleslaw dressing and vegan coleslaw
- First, start by shredding the cabbages and carrots and then add to a large bowl.
- Next, we will make the dressing by adding the vegan mayo, salt, mustard, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, maple syrup, and celery seed in a small bowl and then mix well.
- Now, pour the coleslaw dressing over the shredded veggies and then give it a good mix. I find that using my hands is the best tool for this but you can use a spatula or a fork.
- Adjust to taste and then serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
How to Shred Cabbage for Coleslaw
You can cut the cabbage head into quarters and then cut off the core and then thinly slice it. You can also use a mandolin slicer to do this faster.
If you don't have time to shred the veggies, you can also buy pre-shredded cabbage. You can find a coleslaw mix in a package at the store as well.
How to serve vegan coleslaw
- Serve it with baked beans, BBQ Jackfruit sandwich, or veggie burger.
- Pair it with buffalo cauliflower wings or potato salad.
- Serve with a pasta salad for a picnic.
- Great with corn on the cob too!
- For convenience, use pre-shredded cabbage, carrots, or coleslaw mix.
- Make coleslaw ahead and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed!
How to store homemade coleslaw
This coleslaw will last about 4 to 5 days in the fridge in a sealed container. After a couple of days, it will be softer and not crunchy but still delicious.
This easy homemade recipe comes together in less than 10 minutes and it is very easy. It is also:
- Better than store-bought
- Perfect side dish for picnics and potlucks
- Also so delicious!
More plant-based side dishes to try
- ROASTED SWEET POTATOES RECIPE (AIR-FRYER OR BAKED)
- CUCUMBER TOMATO ONION SALAD (HEALTHY)
- EASY VEGAN FALAFEL RECIPE (BAKED OR AIR-FRIED)
- EASY NICOISE SALAD RECIPE
- CILANTRO LIME QUINOA (EASY & QUICK)
- RED LENTIL SOUP RECIPE (STOVETOP OR INSTANT POT)
- CAESAR SALAD
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
I will show you how to make coleslaw that is vegan, so easy, and creamy! It's gluten-free, quick to make, and perfect for summer picnics and gatherings.
- Start by shredding the cabbages and carrots and then add to a large bowl.
- Make the dressing by adding the vegan mayo, salt, mustard, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, maple syrup, and celery seed in a small bowl and then mix well.
- Adjust to taste, serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
For convenience, use pre-shredded cabbage, carrots, or coleslaw mix.
Make coleslaw ahead, store it in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Always adjust to taste, add more salt if needed!
- Serving Size: 4-6
- Calories: 85
- Sugar: 4.3g
- Sodium: 324.3mg
- Fat: 5.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan coleslaw, coleslaw recipe, how to make coleslaw, vegan coleslaw recipe