This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
Do you want to learn how to make oat milk (and creamer) at home so you can save money? You'll also know what is in it because many brands have so many additives in store-bought milk. It's vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and so easy to make!
If you want to heat up the oat milk or use it as a creamer, I recommend the creamer version. This recipe has cashews and shredded coconut mixed in with the oats to improve the consistency.
When you heat up regular homemade oat milk, it tends to get slimy. So, adding cashews and shredded coconut will help with this issue.
Before we jump into the recipes, let's talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
How to make Oat Milk
Making this homemade recipe is very easy but you need to pay attention to a few steps. This will ensure that it will not be slimy and will be creamy instead.
I usually use gluten-free rolled oats but you can use regular rolled oats as well. You will need to rinse it really well before blending so it won't get slimy.
Quality of the water you use makes a difference so I like using filtered water.
How to make it
- First, you will rinse your oats really well before you put in a blender.
- Now, add cold water and only blend it 30 seconds to avoid to heat up and get slimy.
- Next, use a fine-mesh strainer instead of a nut milk bag to avoid squeezing.
- Place it in the fridge at least 30 minutes before drinking. Separation is normal so you can just shake it before drinking.
How to make oat milk creamer (for frothing)
I love making this creamer because it froths so well when using my favorite frother. We will be soaking the cashews in hot water for about 15 to 20 minutes for easier blending so keep that in mind.
Ingredients for creamer
Just like the oat milk, we will be rinsing the oats for this creamer to avoid getting slimy. I also choose to use gluten-free rolled oats again but you can use regular rolled oats.
We will be using raw and unsalted cashews and also soaking them a little bit for easier blending. Roasted cashews usually have salt and oil so you don't want to use it for this creamer.
Shredded coconut gives this creamer a hint of coconut flavor and also makes it smell amazing! I usually use fine or medium shredded coconut since I find the large flakes don't blend as well.
How to make the creamer
- First, you will start by soaking the cashews in hot water for about 15 to 20 minutes until soft. Next, you will rinse the oats and then add them along with soaked cashews, shredded coconut, and cold water into a high-speed blender and blend for 60 seconds.
- Use a nut milk bag to strain the creamer and it's ready to use for your favorite coffee or matcha tea!
Tips & Variations
I usually make this recipe unsweetened so I can use it to make savory or sweet recipes. But here are some suggestions for changing it up:
- You can add any sweetener you want such as maple syrup, agave syrup, or coconut sugar.
- Also, add more water if you find the creamer to be too thick.
- You can add a little bit of vanilla extract for vanilla flavor.
- Add cinnamon, pumpkin spice, or another aromatic spice if you like.
How to store it
Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days and also keep in mind separation is normal, just give it a stir. Since this recipe has no preservatives unlike store-bought oat milk, it might still get a little slimy as it sits in the fridge.
These oat milk and creamer recipes are:
- And delicious!
MORE VEGAN RECIPES TO use your homemade oat milk with
- HOW TO MAKE GRANOLA (HEALTHY & EASY)
- BANANA ICE CREAM RECIPE (HEALTHY & VEGAN)
- HOW TO MAKE A SMOOTHIE BOWL
- SIMPLE GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE (VEGAN)
So, did you make this recipe? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
Do you want to learn how to make oat milk and creamer at home so you can save money? It's vegan, gluten-free and so easy to make!
- Add the rinsed oats and cold water into a high-speed blender and blend for 30 seconds (don't over blend it).
- Using a fine-mesh strainer (don't use a nut milk bag), strain the oat milk.
- Place it in the fridge to cool for 30 minutes.
Oat Milk Creamer
- In a small bowl, add the cashews and hot water, soak the cashews for 15 to 20 minutes until soft.
- Add the rinsed oats, soaked cashews, shredded coconuts, and cold water into a high-speed blender and blend for 60 seconds.
- Use a nut milk bag, strain the creamer.
Separation is normal, just give it a stir. Unlike store-bought oat milk, these recipes do not have any preservatives so it may get a little slimy as it sits in the fridge.
These recipes are unsweetened, add any sweetener you want such as maple syrup, agave syrup, or coconut sugar.
Add more water if you find the creamer to be too thick.
You can add a little bit of vanilla extract for vanilla flavor or add cinnamon, pumpkin spice, or another aromatic spice.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 0g
- Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: homemade oat milk, how to make oat milk, oat milk creamer, easy oat milk, oat milk recipe, oat milk creamer recipe