This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This vegan jackfruit stew is the best because it’s healthy, plant based, made with potatoes, and canned jackfruit. In addition, it’s so easy to make, gluten free, dairy free, perfect for meal prep, or weeknight dinners.
I love using jackfruit in my recipes because it’s so versatile and works great in many dishes like jackfruit curry, vegan chicken noodle soup, vegan buffalo chicken dip, BBQ jackfruit pizza or BBQ jackfruit sandwiches. This vegetarian stew is another favorite because it’s very hearty.
You can also customize this vegan stew by adding more veggies. It’s an easy way to incorporate more vegetables into your meals and leftovers taste even better.
Before we jump into the recipe, let’s talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
How to make vegan jackfruit stew
Preparing jackfruit is a lot easier than you think but most importantly, you will need to buy jackfruit in water or brine, not in syrup! I prefer buying it in water because I like that it doesn’t have the brine flavor.
Potatoes, Tomatoes and Tomato paste
Potatoes make this dish very filling while tomatoes give lots of flavors. I also like adding tomato paste because it provides depth to this jackfruit stew.
Onion, Garlic, Tamari and Liquid smoke
I like using yellow onions because I find they caramelize better and work great with lots of garlic. Tamari provides a salty bite and liquid smoke gives a very smoky taste. You can use soy sauce instead of tamari if you are not gluten free.
Vegetable broth or water and arrowroot
You can either use vegetable broth or water for this dish but broth gives more flavor. I recommend using low-sodium broth and always adjust the salt. We will also add arrowroot to thicken the stew.
Celery and Carrots
Make sure to chop celery and carrots small so they cook faster and they will also be easier to eat. You can add more or less if you like.
Thyme, Oregano, Bay leaves and Smoked paprika
Using fresh thyme and oregano really makes this vegan stew taste great so I don’t recommend subbing for dry herbs. I also add bay leaves and smoked paprika to add a smoky flavor.
Oil & Salt
I like using avocado oil for my cooking but you can use coconut or olive oil. I also like adding pink Himalayan salt but feel free to swap for regular sea salt.
How to make it
- First, you will start by preparing the rinsed and drained jackfruit by pulling it apart with your hands to give it a shredded meat texture. You can chop the jackfruit seeds into small pieces or discard them.
- Next, add oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat and cook the onions until soft for a few minutes. And then add the celery and carrots, cook for 5 more minutes until soft.
- While veggies are cooking, add the arrowroot and 2 tablespoons of water in a bowl and mix well then set aside.
- Add the garlic, smoked paprika, potatoes, shredded jackfruit into the pot and cook a couple of minutes. Now, add the tomato paste and tomatoes, cook for another minute.
- Then add the vegetable broth/water, tamari, bay leaves, herbs, liquid smoke, arrowroot, and water mixture into the pot. Turn the heat to boil then simmer for 30 to 35 minutes until potatoes and veggies are soft. Take out the bay leaves and serve jackfruit stew immediately or store for later.
Tips & Variations
- If the stew is thick, you can add more broth if you like.
- Make sure to chop the veggies very small for quick cooking.
- Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed.
How to store vegan jackfruit stew
When stored properly, vegan jackfruit stew will last 4 to 5 days so just place it in an air-tight container and then store it in the fridge. Leftovers will be thicker so you can add some water or broth before reheating it.
It’s easy to put this delicious, filling, and satisfying vegan and vegetarian stew on the table. It is also:
- Hearty and Healthy
- Cozy & Comforting
- Dairy free & Gluten free
- Meal prep friendly and perfect for weeknights
More plant based recipes to try
- THAI PEANUT NOODLES
- MEATBALLS RECIPE (GLUTEN-FREE & EASY)
- PAD THAI (EASY & HEALTHY)
- LENTIL BOLOGNESE
- PASTA SALAD (EASY & QUICK)
- BLACK BEAN QUINOA BURGER
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This vegan jackfruit stew is healthy, plant based, made with potatoes, and canned jackfruit. It’s so easy to make, gluten free, dairy free, perfect for meal prep, or weeknight dinners.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 (14 oz) cans young jackfruit in water or brine (rinsed and drained, not in syrup!)
- 2 medium carrots (chopped very small)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped very small)
- 3 medium yukon gold potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups water or low sodium vegetable broth (adjust)
- 3 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp tamari (sub for soy sauce if not gf)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano (chopped)
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp arrowroot and 2 tbsps water
- Salt to taste
- Start by preparing the rinsed and drained jackfruit by pulling it apart with your hands to give it a shredded meat texture. You can chop the jackfruit seeds into small pieces or discard them. Set aside.
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, add oil and when oil is hot, cook the onions until soft for 5 minutes. Add the celery and carrots, cook for 5 more minutes until soft.
- In the meantime, in a small bowl, mix the arrowroot and 2 tablespoons of water then set aside.
- Add the garlic, smoked paprika, potatoes, shredded jackfruit into the pot and cook 2 more minutes. Now, add the tomato paste and tomatoes, cook for another minute.
- Add the vegetable broth/water, tamari, bay leaves, herbs, liquid smoke, arrowroot and water mixture into the pot. Turn the heat to boil then simmer for 30 to 35 minutes until potatoes and veggies are soft.
- Take out the bay leaves and serve immediately or store for later.
If the stew is thick, add more broth.
Make sure to chop the veggies very small for quick cooking.
Always adjust to taste, add more salt if needed.
- Serving Size: 4-6
- Calories: 304
- Sugar: 23.9g
- Sodium: 1154.7mg
- Fat: 4.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 62.3g
- Fiber: 9.1g
- Protein: 8.2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan stew, vegetarian stew, vegan jackfruit stew