This vegan orange cauliflower recipe is healthy, baked and so easy to make! It’s gluten-free, satisfying, crowd-pleaser, and perfect as a main dish or side dish!
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 cup gluten-free flour (sub for all-purpose)
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (sub for brown sugar)
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp tamari (sub for soy sauce)
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger (minced)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Break the cauliflower with your hands into bite-size florets. (You can cut it with a knife if needed but you might end up with smaller pieces)
- In a large bowl, make the batter by combining flour, milk, 1 tbsp corn starch, and salt.
- Add the cauliflower florets into the bowl with the batter and then mix really well until all pieces are coated. (Alternatively, use a ziplock bag and shake the batter and the florets or dip them one at a time into the batter).
- Transfer the florets onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Let any excess batter drip off before placing on the baking sheet and leave space between florets. Bake them at 425F for about 25 to 35 minutes flipping halfway through.
- In the meantime, add the orange sauce ingredients in a small bowl and then mix it until combined.
- About 5 minutes before the cauliflower is baked, start cooking the sauce in a large saucepan on medium heat until the sauce is thick. Keep stirring. Add the baked cauliflower into the sticky orange sauce and mix well. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
If the batter is too thick, add a little bit more milk to thin it out but remember, it shouldn’t be dripping out and watery.
If the batter is too watery, add more flour to make it thicker.
Don’t overcrowd the pan.
While the cauliflower is baking, check frequently to make sure they are not burning.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 264
- Sugar: 27.9g
- Sodium: 633.3mg
- Fat: 2.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 51.2g
- Fiber: 7.1g
- Protein: 11g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: orange cauliflower, vegan orange chicken, baked orange cauliflower , vegan orange cauliflower