This homemade refried beans recipe takes 15 minutes to make and also vegan and oil-free! In addition, it is easy, healthy, gluten-free, and plant-based!
- Heat a large pan or a skillet over medium heat. Add a couple of tablespoons of water. When the water is hot, add the diced onions and cook until translucent for 5 minutes. Keep adding a splash of water if onions are getting too dry.
- When the onions are caramelized, add the pinto beans (including the liquid in the cans), garlic, diced chipotle pepper, a little bit of adobo sauce and salt. Continue cooking for another 5-8 minutes.
- If the beans are getting dry, keep adding a splash of water to keep them moist but not watery.
- Keep stirring the pinto beans and mash them using the back of the spoon or potato masher.
- When you reach the desired consistency, cover the pan and let it sit for 1 minute.
Keep the leftovers for 3-4 days in the fridge.
To reheat, add a little water and warm it up on the stovetop.
Chop the onions very small for a creamier result.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 111
- Sugar: 0.5g
- Sodium: 376.8mg
- Fat: 0.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19.4g
- Fiber: .2g
- Protein: 6.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: how to make refried beans, refried beans, refried beans recipe, easy refried beans, vegan refried beans recipe, oil-free refried beans