This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This homemade refried black beans recipe takes 10 minutes to make and is also vegan and oil-free! In addition, it is easy, healthy, gluten-free, and plant-based!
We eat tacos, burritos or burrito bowls at my house almost once a week so I wanted to find a fast and easy way to make refried beans. I really don’t buy canned ones since they usually have unnecessary ingredients or preservatives.
I wanted to make them while preparing for taco or burrito ingredients so it had to be quick. Well, I’m happy to report that I found a way and they are also oil-free!
Before we jump into the recipe, let’s talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
How to make Vegan Refried Black Beans Recipe
Since we are not using any oil to make this recipe, there are a few things to pay attention to. The good news is that you only need 4 ingredients and they are mostly pantry items as well.
The first ingredient is black beans to make this recipe and I usually go for canned. But you should make sure the cans are BPA free and no salt added!
The most important part is to not drain them all the way since the aquafaba (liquid in the can) will make this recipe creamy. As the liquid cooks down, it will create that creamy texture.
I prefer to use sweet yellow onion but you can use a white onion if you prefer. I don’t prefer to cook red onions because I find they don’t caramelize like white or yellow ones.
The most important part is that you chop the onion very small so the onions cook well and make your recipe creamy.
Adding 2 or 3 garlic cloves makes this recipe very aromatic but you can add more if you prefer. You should mince the garlic well so you don’t end up with big pieces.
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
I always have a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce since I use it all the time. But if you prefer, you can just use your favorite seasoning like smoked paprika, cumin, or chili powder.
How to make homemade refried black beans step by step
- First, you will start by adding a couple of tablespoons of water to the pan and then add the diced onions to cook. This process might take 5 minutes but keep adding a splash of water so onions don’t burn.
- Next, when the onions are caramelized, add the beans, garlic, diced chipotle pepper, a little bit of adobo sauce, and salt and continue cooking.
- When you notice the beans are getting dry, keep adding a splash of water to keep them moist but not watery. You will also need to keep stirring them and mash them using the back of the spoon or potato masher.
- You will need to leave the pan uncovered so the beans can thicken. When you reach the desired consistency, cover the pan, turn off the heat and then let it sit for a bit.
ARE REFRIED BLACK BEANS HEALTHY
Traditional ones are made with lard so they have a decent amount of fat. I love making my own because I can control the ingredients which makes them healthy!
Uses for homemade refried black beans
There are many uses for them but here are some ideas:
- Add them to your stuffed sweet potatoes
- Buddha bowls
- Burritos and burrito bowls
- Tostadas, tacos, and enchiladas
- Serve over cilantro lime quinoa!
How to store refried beans
Refried black beans will last about 3-4 days in the fridge so perfect for meal-prep! To reheat them, just add more water and then heat them up on the stovetop.
After cooled, you can freeze refried beans placing them in an air-tight container. They’ll also last for several months frozen.
It takes 10 minutes to make this quick, easy, and creamy refried black beans recipe. It is also :
- Healthy & Homemade
- Oil-free and Customizable
- Meal prep-friendly
- And perfect for topping so plant-based many dishes!
More vegan oil-free recipes to try
- BEST CREAMY HUMMUS (EASY & OIL-FREE!)
- REFRIED BEANS (VEGAN & OIL-FREE!)
- BEST TAHINI SAUCE (EASY & CREAMY)
So did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This homemade refried black beans recipe takes 10 minutes to make and is also vegan and oil-free! In addition, it is easy, healthy, gluten-free and plant-based!
- 1 small yellow onion (diced very small)
- 1 can black beans (not rinsed, keep some of the liquid in the can)
- 1 small chipotle pepper in adobo sauce + 1 tsp adobo sauce (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tsp or more salt
- Heat a large pan or a skillet over medium heat. Add a couple of tablespoons of water. When the water is hot, add the diced onions and cook until translucent for 5 minutes. Keep adding a splash of water if onions are getting too dry.
- When the onions are caramelized, add the black beans (including the liquid in the cans), garlic, diced chipotle pepper, a little bit of adobo sauce, and salt. Continue cooking for another 5-8 minutes.
- If the beans are getting dry, keep adding a splash of water to keep them moist but not watery.
- Keep stirring the black beans and mash them using the back of the spoon or a potato masher.
- When you reach the desired consistency, cover the pan, and let it sit for 1 minute.
Keep the leftovers for 3-4 days in the fridge.
To reheat, add a little water and warm it up on the stovetop.
Chop the onions very small for creamier result
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 116
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 447.8mg
- Fat: 0.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 7.7g
- Protein: 6.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: how to make vegan refried beans, how to make refried black beans, vegan refried beans recipe, vegan refried black beans recipe