This homemade refried black beans recipe takes 10 minutes to make and is also vegan and oil-free! In addition, it is easy, healthy, gluten-free and plant-based!
- 1 small yellow onion (diced very small)
- 1 can black beans (not rinsed, keep some of the liquid in the can)
- 1 small chipotle pepper in adobo sauce + 1 tsp adobo sauce (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tsp or more salt
- Heat a large pan or a skillet over medium heat. Add a couple of tablespoons of water. When the water is hot, add the diced onions and cook until translucent for 5 minutes. Keep adding a splash of water if onions are getting too dry.
- When the onions are caramelized, add the black beans (including the liquid in the cans), garlic, diced chipotle pepper, a little bit of adobo sauce, and salt. Continue cooking for another 5-8 minutes.
- If the beans are getting dry, keep adding a splash of water to keep them moist but not watery.
- Keep stirring the black beans and mash them using the back of the spoon or a potato masher.
- When you reach the desired consistency, cover the pan, and let it sit for 1 minute.
Keep the leftovers for 3-4 days in the fridge.
To reheat, add a little water and warm it up on the stovetop.
Chop the onions very small for creamier result
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 116
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 447.8mg
- Fat: 0.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 7.7g
- Protein: 6.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: how to make vegan refried beans, how to make refried black beans, vegan refried beans recipe, vegan refried black beans recipe