This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This crispy roasted chickpeas recipe is healthy and easy, also you can bake them in the oven or in the air-fryer. In addition, it is gluten-free, vegan and perfect as a snack or in buddha bowls!
I love making bowls for lunch or dinner so when I want to add some protein, I usually go for chickpeas. However, I don't like them straight out of the can and that's why I love my air-fryer!
I can have perfectly crispy and also crunchy chickpeas in about 15 minutes using my air-fryer. Alternatively, I will give you instructions for baking the chickpeas in the oven but I highly recommend air frying them for extra crispy texture.
How to make crispy roasted chickpeas
You only need a couple of ingredients to make crispy roasted chickpeas so let's get started!
Crispy Roasted Chickpeas Recipe Ingredients
Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
You need one can of chickpeas (BPA free!) rinsed, drained, and really well dried so you can make sure the chickpeas will crisp up.
Seasonings for crispy roasted chickpeas
I opted for chipotle seasoning but you can use your favorite seasoning (more on variations later). Oh and also a little bit of pink Himalayan sea salt!
I used cold-pressed avocado oil (high smoke point) but you can opt for another neutral-tasting oil.
How to make crispy roasted chickpeas step by step (2 ways)
Roasting them in the oven
If you are going to bake them in the oven, there are a couple of steps to ensure your chickpeas will be crispy.
- Most of all, make sure the chickpeas are as dry as you can get them. If you notice some of the skin is coming off as you are drying them, you can certainly discard the skins. Also, removing the chickpea skin actually makes them crispier!
- You can salt and oil the chickpeas before baking them but wait to season it after baking.
- Bake them at 375 F for about 35 to 40 minutes ( shaking the pan every 10-15 minutes) and then toss them in seasoning when they come out of the oven.
Air-fry them (recommended)
Now let's talk about my favorite version to make crispy chickpeas because it's so easy and quick!
- First, mix all the ingredients (including the seasoning) in a medium bowl.
- Place them in the air-fryer and cook them at 400 F for about 15- 20 minutes (time may vary depending on the air-fryer model) so you can make sure they are so crunchy and crispy!
Seasonings for Crispy Roasted Chickpeas Recipe
There so many different seasonings you can use for these delicious crunchy chickpeas but here are some suggestions:
- Chili Powder
- Smoke Paprika
How to use crispy roasted chickpeas
Possibilities are endless when it comes to using these crunchy and healthy chickpeas but here are some ideas:
- Top your soups and pizza
How to store
Roasted chickpeas are best when eaten freshly baked but you can store for a couple of days. I recommend not covering them with a lid so you can avoid them getting soggy.
These crunchy chickpeas are easy and quick to make and they are also :
- Vegan, gluten-free and plant-based snack
- You can top your favorite dishes or eat them by themselves
- Crispy on the outside
- Soft on the inside
- Healthy & delicious!
More plant-based dishes using chickpeas
- BEST CREAMY HUMMUS RECIPE (EASY & OIL-FREE!)
- EASY VEGAN FALAFEL RECIPE (BAKED OR AIR-FRIED)
- EASY VEGAN FALAFEL BOWL (GLUTEN-FREE)
- CHICKPEA SPINACH CURRY
So did you make this crispy roasted chickpeas recipe? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This crispy roasted chickpeas recipe is healthy and easy, also you can bake them in the oven or in the air-fryer. It is gluten-free, vegan and perfect as a snack or in buddha bowls!
How to bake chickpeas in the oven
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Rinse, drain and dry the chickpeas really well.
- Add the oil and salt, bake for about 35 to 40 minutes until crispy
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the seasoning. Cool for 5 minutes.
How to air fry chickpeas
- Rinse, drain and dry the chickpeas.
- Add all the ingredients into a medium bowl and mix it well.
- Air fry the chickpeas at 400 F for about 15-20 minutes until crispy.
Check out to post for suggestions for seasonings.
Time may vary depending on the air fryer model
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 2.6g
- Sodium: 451.3mg
- Fat: 5.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 14.8g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 0g
Keywords: crispy chickpeas recipe, baked crispy chickpeas recipe, crispy air fryer chickpea recipe, how to bake chickpeas