This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This creamy simple homemade hummus is the best because it is so easy to make and healthy! In addition, it's gluten free, vegan, and quick to make.
This simple homemade hummus dip is perfect for making hummus pasta for a quick lunch or dinner. It also makes an amazing veggie dip, delicious with pita chips, bread, or as a sandwich spread.
I already have an oil free hummus recipe, chipotle hummus and buffalo hummus recipe but this is a great base recipe. You can eat it with homemade falafel or dollop on falafel bowls so it's versatile and budget friendly.
Before we jump into the recipe, let's talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
How to make simple homemade hummus dip
Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
We will be using canned chickpeas so this recipe comes together very fast. You will need to make sure that you drain and rinse the chickpeas.
Tahini is the secret ingredient to make this recipe so I don't recommend omitting it. You should also make sure to use good quality and pourable tahini as it makes a difference.
I used 2 cloves of garlic but you can add more if you like. Just keep in mind that raw garlic can be overpowering so start with less.
Freshly squeezed lemon juice gives it a tangy flavor so I don't recommend omitting it. You can also use lime juice if that's what you have.
Olive oil and salt
Adding olive oil makes it very creamy and also makes it easier to work with. Always adjust to taste and then add more salt if needed.
How to make it
- First, rinse and drain the chickpeas and then add all the ingredients into a high speed blender like Vitamix.
- Next, blend until you have the desired consistency. If you like the consistency to be thinner, you can also add a little more water. But, always adjust to taste and serve.
How to use it
There are so many ways to use it but here are some ideas:
- Serve it with pita bread or pita chips.
- Dip veggies, crackers, falafel or top your falafel bowl.
- Make hummus pasta with it.
- Use it as a sandwich spread or on bagels.
- After blending, place it in the fridge for an hour so it will be cold and get thicker.
- If the recipe is too thick, you can also add more water.
- Make sure to use a high-speed blender and not a food processor if you want to make it very creamy and smooth.
- Always adjust to taste and then add more salt if needed!
How to store it
You can store it in the fridge, covered, for up to 1 week. It even tastes more delicious as it cools down!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can add cayenne pepper to make it spicy.
Yes, as long as you cook them completely and keep the proportions the same.
I don't recommend substituting the tahini since it's a key ingredient.
This homemade dip recipe comes together in 5 minutes and it is very easy. It is also:
- Gluten free, Vegan and Soy free
- Smooth & Ultra Creamy
- So delicious!
More plant based sauces & dips to try
- BEST TAHINI SAUCE
- AVOCADO CREMA
- WHITE BEAN DIP
- FRENCH ONION DIP
- BEST HOMEMADE GUACAMOLE
- VEGAN BLACK BEAN DIP
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This creamy simple homemade hummus is so easy to make and healthy! In addition, it's gluten free, vegan, and quick to make.
- 2 (15 oz) cans of garbanzo beans/chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- ¼ cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (adjust to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cup to 1 cup water (adjust as needed)
- ½ teaspoon salt or more (adjust to taste)
- Add all the ingredients into a high speed blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
After blending, place it in the fridge for an hour so it will be cold and get thicker.
If the recipe is too thick, add more water.
Make sure to use a high-speed blender and not a food processor if you want to make it very creamy and smooth.
Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed!
- Serving Size: 6-8
- Calories: 239
- Sugar: 3.6g
- Sodium: 378.2mg
- Fat: 14.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 22.4g
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Protein: 7.8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan hummus, simple hummus recipe, easy hummus, homemade hummus, quick hummus