This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This vegan smashed chickpea sandwich is healthy, satisfying, and also so easy to make! In addition, you can make this chickpea salad sandwich gluten-free and it’s perfect for meal prep, lunch, or dinner!
This mashed chickpea salad recipe is perfect for a quick lunch because it takes less than 15 minutes to make just like my vegan avocado wrap! This vegan egg salad sandwich is great for taking to work for lunch because it holds up really well.
When you make this vegan chickpea sandwich, you can reserve the liquid (aquafaba) in the can of chickpeas for making vegan mayo! You can also use store-bought vegan mayo for convenience.
But, before we jump into the recipe, let’s talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
How to Make Vegan Smashed Chickpea Sandwich
We will be using two cans of chickpeas so make sure they are BPA free and no salt added. When you mash chickpeas, they have a great texture that is similar to tuna or egg salad.
I added celery, red onion, and pickles for this vegan smashed chickpeas sandwich. Make sure to chop the veggies very small so you don’t get big chunks.
I love using brown mustard in my recipes because it gives some depth to the flavors. It also provides a tanginess.
Store-bought vegan mayo can be very expensive so I make my own from aquafaba (from the liquid in can chickpeas. If you will make the mayo, don’t forget to reserve the liquid from the can.
Coconut Aminos (sub for Tamari or Soy sauce)
To keep this recipe soy-free and gluten-free, I like using coconut aminos but you can use soy sauce or tamari. It adds a really nice salty flavor and also gives that umami taste.
Ground Turmeric (optional)
Adding a little bit of turmeric will give the mashed chickpeas a nice yellow color and also has health benefits. You can omit it if you don’t have it.
Fresh dill is great for making it more aromatic and also tasty. You can use dried dill but you won’t have that fresh taste.
You can use gluten-free bread if you want to avoid gluten. You can also use multi-grain or any other bread you like.
How to Make Vegan Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
- First, you need to rinse and drain the can of chickpeas, and then add them to a large bowl. Smash them using a potato masher or a fork. You will need to make sure to mash all of them if you like the salad to be creamy.
- Now, add the rest of the ingredients in the bowl and then mix it well. You should taste and adjust the salt if needed.
- Spread the smashed chickpea salad on a slice of bread, and then add any other fillings you like.
Tips & Variations
- Vegan Egg Salad: If you want to add egg salad flavor to this chickpea salad, you can add 1/4 tsp or so black salt (kala namak). This salt smells sulfurous and also tastes like eggs but a little goes a long way.
- Vegan Tuna Salad: If you want to add more fishy taste to replicate a tuna sandwich, you can add pieces of nori or add kelp granules.
- Avocado Chickpea Salad Sandwich: Instead of vegan mayo, you can use mashed avocados to make this salad creamy.
How to store leftover mashed chickpea salad
You can store the leftovers in the fridge, covered, for up to 5 to 6 days.
Smashed Chickpea Sandwich Topping Ideas
- Leafy greens
- Tomato and pickle slices
- Sliced avocado
- Sprouts and radishes
This smashed chickpea sandwich is very easy and quick. It is also:
- Meal prep friendly
- Also so delicious!
More healthy plant-based recipes to try
- PAD THAI (EASY & HEALTHY)
- EASY FALAFEL BOWL (GLUTEN-FREE)
- THAI PEANUT NOODLES
- PASTA SALAD (EASY & QUICK)
- LENTIL BOLOGNESE
- BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER WINGS
- BBQ JACKFRUIT PIZZA
- BLACK BEAN QUINOA BURGER
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This vegan smashed chickpea sandwich is healthy, satisfying, and so easy to make! You can make this chickpea salad sandwich gluten-free and it’s perfect for meal prep, lunch, or dinner!
Smashed Chickpea Salad
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans) (rinsed and drained)
- 1/3 cup dill pickles (chopped small)
- 1/4 cup celery (chopped small)
- 3 tbsp red onion (chopped small)
- 1 tbsp brown mustard
- 2 tbsp fresh dill (chopped)
- 1/3 cup homemade vegan mayo (sub for store-bought)
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos (sub for tamari or soy sauce)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric (optional for color)
- Salt to taste
- Sandwich bread (gluten-free if preferred)
- Toppings such as leafy greens, sliced tomato, pickle, avocado, radishes or sprouts.
- Rinse and drain the can of chickpeas, add them to a large bowl. Smash them using a potato masher or a fork. Mash all the chickpeas for a creamy and smooth result.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in the bowl, mix it well. Taste and adjust the salt if needed.
- Assemble the sandwich by spreading the mashed chickpea salad on a slice of bread and top with desired toppings.
If making vegan mayo recipe, reserve the liquid (aquafaba) in the can of chickpeas.
Vegan Egg Salad: Add 1/4 tsp or so black salt (kala namak). This salt smells sulfurous and also tastes like eggs.
Vegan Tuna Salad: Add pieces of nori or kelp granules.
Avocado Chickpea Salad Sandwich: Instead of vegan mayo, use mashed avocados.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 327
- Sugar: 7.2g
- Sodium: 804.9mg
- Fat: 8.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fiber: 7.2g
- Protein: 11.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: chickpea salad, sandwich with chickpeas, mashed chickpea sandwich, smashed chickpea salad, vegan egg sandwich