This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
These vegan stuffed sweet potatoes are loaded with satisfying and healthy plant-based toppings! In addition, they are versatile, gluten-free, quick to make, and perfect for a weeknight dinner or meal prep!
I love baking a big batch of whole sweet potatoes once a week so I can make this recipe in no time! You can really stuff these sweet potato boats with so many plant-based ingredients.
Before we jump into the recipe, let’s talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
How to make stuffed sweet potatoes
There are many ways to make this vegan dish but I’ll show you my go-to simple version.
I usually use orange sweet potatoes but feel free to swap for different varieties such as purple or white. In my roasted sweet potatoes recipe, I give tips on how to pick the perfect sweet potatoes so you should check it out!
Refried Black Beans
I love spicy food so I like adding some homemade hot sauce but you can omit if you don’t like spicy food. You can also top it with your favorite store-bought hot sauce.
You can add lots of flavors by adding garnish so use whatever you have in the fridge. I like adding sliced green onions, red onions, and cilantro but try adding purple cabbage or corn! You can also sprinkle vegan parmesan cheese for a cheesy flavor!
How to make stuffed sweet potatoes step by step
- You can prep the sweet potatoes by poking holes with a fork and then bake them in the oven at 400 F for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. If you bake them ahead, you can just reheat them at 350 F until warm.
- After they are baked and cooled, just cut them in half lengthwise (not all the way through). And then you can mash the inside gently with a fork.
- Stuff the sweet potato with refried black beans, guacamole, hot sauce, garnish and drizzle the sour cream on top!
Tips & Variations
- Instead of refried beans, you can just heat up canned beans.
- Try adding lentils or roasted chickpeas.
- Add some roasted bell peppers, corn, or homemade salsa on top.
- If you want to add some protein, you can add sofritas style tofu as well.
- You can also add some tortilla chips on top for extra crunch!
How to store it
These vegan stuffed sweet potatoes are best when fresh. If you need to store it, you can store the cooked sweet potatoes in the fridge, covered up to 5 days. You should store the toppings separately.
This simple recipe comes together quickly and it is very versatile so you can throw in some leftovers. It is also:
- Hearty & Healthy
- Vegan, Gluten-free & Plant-based
- Meal-prep friendly
- Perfect for weeknight dinners
- And delicious!
More vegan sweet potato recipes
So did you make this recipe? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
These vegan stuffed sweet potatoes are loaded with satisfying and healthy plant-based toppings! They are versatile, gluten-free, quick to make, and perfect for a weeknight dinner or meal prep!
- Prepare the sweet potatoes by poking holes with a fork and then transfer them to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place it in the oven at 400 F for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, prepare the refried beans, guacamole and hot sauce according to the recipes.
- After the sweet potatoes are baked and cooled, cut them in half lengthwise (not all the way through). Mash the inside of the sweet potato gently with a fork.
- Divide the sweet potatoes into each plate, add refried black beans and guacamole. Top it with hot sauce. Garnish with green onions, red onions, and cilantro. Drizzle vegan sour cream.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 223
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 498.6mg
- Fat: 9.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 30.7g
- Fiber: 10.2g
- Protein: 5.9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: sweet potato boats, stuffed sweet potatoes, vegan stuffed sweet potatoes, easy stuffed sweet potato recipe