This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This homemade vegan sweet and sour sauce recipe is simple, quick, and also so easy to make! In addition, this diy sauce is gluten free and perfect for sweet and sour cauliflower.
I love creating homemade sauces because they really give so much flavor to plant based dishes. Store-bought sauces can be expensive and when you make it at home, you can control the ingredients.
Before we jump into the recipe, let's learn some tips on how to make this delicious recipe.
How to make vegan sweet and sour sauce
We will be using low sodium tamari for the base of the sauce but you can sub for low sodium soy sauce instead. But keep in mind, soy sauce is not gluten free.
Maple syrup is perfect for this because it gives a really nice sweetness. You can also add more if you want.
Apple cider vinegar and Toasted sesame oil
Apple cider vinegar gives that tanginess while toasted sesame oil gives so much flavor. I recommend using toasted and not regular sesame oil because the flavor makes such a difference.
Garlic & Ketchup
I added three cloves of garlic but you can add more if you like that garlicky taste. We'll also be adding some ketchup to give some depth to the flavors.
To thicken this sauce, you will need cornstarch but you can sub for arrowroot.
How to make it
- First, in a large bowl, add the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water then mix really well.
- Now, add the rest of the ingredients into the bowl and then whisk it until you don't have any clumps.
- Next, transfer the sauce to a saucepan and cook it over medium-low heat for 4 to 6 minutes until it thickens while stirring. Serve immediately or store for later.
What do you use this sauce for?
- Make sweet and sour cauliflower.
- Serve with tofu or chickpeas.
- Dip potstickers
Tips & Variations
- If the sauce is too thick, you can add more water slowly.
- If the sauce is not thick enough, continue cooking until it thickens.
- Always adjust to taste add more maple syrup for sweetness or more apple cider vinegar for that tangy flavor.
How long does it last?
You can store it in the fridge, covered, for up to 5 to 6 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! You can sub the tamari for coconut aminos to make it soy free.
You can add red chili flakes to make it spicy.
This sauce is supposed to be sour so that's why we add the vinegar. If it's too strong you can either cook it down more to mellow the flavors or add more maple syrup.
This homemade vegan sweet and sour sauce comes together so quickly and it is very easy to make. It is also:
- Versatile & Simple
- Gluten free
- Also so delicious!
More plant based sauces & dips to try
- AVOCADO CREMA
- VEGAN HOLLANDAISE SAUCE
- THAI PEANUT SAUCE (5-MINUTE)
- VEGAN TARTAR SAUCE
- SRIRACHA MAYO
- VEGAN HONEY MUSTARD
- VEGAN CHIPOTLE MAYO
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This homemade vegan sweet and sour sauce recipe is simple, quick, and so easy to make!
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar (adjust as needed)
- 3 tablespoons tamari (use so sauce if not gluten free)
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon corn starch + 2 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl, add the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water, mix really well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the bowl and whisk it until you don't have any clumps.
- Transfer the sauce to a saucepan and cook it over medium-low heat for 4 to 6 minutes until it thickens while stirring. Serve immediately or store for later.
If the sauce is too thick, add more water slowly.
If the sauce is not thick enough, continue cooking until it thickens.
Always adjust to taste add more maple syrup for sweetness or more apple cider vinegar for that tangy flavor.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 30
- Sugar: 0.2g
- Sodium: 503.5mg
- Fat: 2.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 1.1g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: sweet and sour sauce, sweet and sour sauce recipe, quick sweet and sour sauce