This vegan baked beans recipe is so easy, quick, and healthier than traditional baked beans! It's gluten-free, a classic for summer barbecues, and is the best!
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (sub for olive oil or coconut oil)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (sub for brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown mustard
- 1 tsp plus 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 4 (15-ounce) cans navy beans (drained and rinsed)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Heat a large pot or a dutch oven over medium heat, add the oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the chopped onions and cook about 5 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the molasses, coconut sugar, maple syrup, ketchup, BBQ sauce, salt, apple cider vinegar, brown mustard, liquid smoke to the pot, mix and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the drained and rinsed beans to the pot, mix really well. Turn off the heat.
- If you have an oven-safe dutch-oven, cover it and place it in the oven to bake. If not, transfer the mixture to a large casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour until the sauce thickens. Serve warm.
If you like your baked beans less sweet, use less coconut sugar.
If you use a very sweet BBQ sauce, the recipe might be too sweet so keep that in mind.
Even though navy beans work perfectly in this recipe, you can use another type of white beans like cannellini.
- Serving Size: 10
- Calories: 181
- Sugar: 24.6g
- Sodium: 514.1mg
- Fat: 2.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 38.5g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 5.4g
- Cholesterol: 0g
Keywords: vegan baked beans, baked beans, homemade baked beans, healthy baked beans, easy baked beans