This vegan baked mac and cheese is creamy, simple, healthy, and easy to make. It is made in the oven without boiling the pasta, gluten free and dairy free!
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked)
- 3 and 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened plant based milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon tamari (sub for low sodium soy sauce if not gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard (sub for dijon mustard)
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric (optional color)
- 12 ounces (short size such as elbows) uncooked gluten free pasta (sub for regular if not gluten free)
- 1/2 teaspoon or more salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Add the raw cashews to a medium bowl, cover with hot boiling water and soak for at least 15 minutes. Rinse and drain.
- Add the soaked cashews to a high speed blender along with nutritional yeast, milk, water, tamari, onion powder, garlic powder, maple syrup, brown mustard, turmeric (optional for color), salt and blend well.
- Note: If your blender is not big enough for adding 3 and 1/2 cups of water to the sauce, you can just add 1 and 1/2 cups of water, blend and then mix another 2 cups.
- Add the pasta in a 9 x 13 (or similar size) casserole dish or a deep baking dish and then pour the sauce on top and mix really well. Press down all the pasta with a spoon to make sure it all submerges in the sauce. Note: This is very important because the pasta will not cook if it's not completely in the sauce.
- Cover the baking dish very tightly with foil and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until pasta is completely cooked.
- Mix really well before serving, the pasta will look dry when you first uncover the foil but after mixing, it will be moist!
The type of pasta you use might change the ratio of the sauce, stick to regular short size pasta.
Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed!
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 273
- Sugar: 4.1g
- Sodium: 550.6mg
- Fat: 9.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 40.5g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 10.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: no boil vegan mac and cheese, vegan baked mac n cheese, dairy free baked mac and cheese