This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This vegan bbq beans recipe is satisfying, quick, and also so easy to make! In addition, it is gluten free, smoky, and perfect as a side dish or main dish!
You can use your favorite bbq sauce to make this recipe and also use a healthier version to keep the sugar level low. I got the inspiration from my vegan baked beans recipe but this one is a lot quicker to make.
This recipe is perfect for gatherings because it's a crowd-pleaser. You can easily customize the flavors and make it sweeter or spicier just like my bbq chickpeas recipe.
Before we jump into the recipe, let's talk about how you can customize it and also learn some tips.
How to make Vegan BBQ Beans
We will be using canned navy beans so make sure to rinse and drain. You can also use other white beans such as great northern beans.
BBQ Sauce & Ketchup
Some barbeque sauces have so much sugar but there are some healthier ones out there. You can also make your own vegan bbq sauce! We will also add some ketchup into the sauce.
Onion powder and Garlic powder
Using both onion and garlic powder gives so much flavor. You can also use garlic cloves if you prefer.
Maple syrup, Apple cider vinegar and Brown mustard
To balance out all the flavors, we will be adding maple syrup, vinegar and brown mustard. You can sub brown mustard for dijon mustard if you like.
Sriracha and liquid smoke (optional)
I love spicy food so I added Sriracha but you can omit it. I also love the smoky flavor so liquid smoke works great.
How to Make it
- You will start by adding all the ingredients except the beans into a bowl and then mix well.
- Now, add the sauce to a skillet over medium-low heat and cook for a couple of minutes. And then add the beans to the skillet, cook for 5 to 7 minutes until the sauce is thickened. Serve immediately.
Tips & Variations
- You can make it spicy by adding more Sriracha or using red pepper flakes if you like.
- You can cook the sauce down until desired consistency.
- Always adjust to taste and then add salt if needed!
How to serve it
- Serve it with BBQ Jackfruit sandwich, or veggie burger.
- Pair it with buffalo cauliflower wings or potato salad.
- Serve with a pasta salad or mac and cheese for a picnic.
- Great with vegan coleslaw and corn on the cob too!
Frequently asked questions
Yes, make sure to cook them really well until they are soft.
I recommend sticking to using BBQ sauce since the flavor is completely different.
Yes, that will work!
How to store it
You can store these vegan bbq beans in the fridge by placing them in an airtight container. It should last 4 to 5 days so it's great for meal prep!
This recipe is flavorful, quick, and also very easy to make. In addition, it is:
- Gluten free
- Great as a side dish
- Also so delicious!
More plant based bean recipes to try
- Vegan White Bean Chili
- Black Bean Quinoa Burger
- Vegan White Bean Soup
- White Bean Salad
- Vegan White Bean Dip
- Vegan White Bean Burger
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This vegan bbq beans recipe is satisfying, quick, and so easy to make! It is gluten free, smoky and perfect as a side dish or main dish!
- ⅓ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard or dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 (15 oz) can navy beans or Great Northern beans (rinsed and drained)
- In a medium bowl, add the BBQ sauce, ketchup, onion powder, garlic powder, maple syrup, vinegar, mustard, salt, Sriracha, liquid smoke and mix well.
- Transfer the sauce to a skillet over medium-low heat, cook for 2 minutes. Add the beans to the skillet, cook for 5 to 7 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Serve immediately.
Make it spicy by adding more Sriracha or using red pepper flakes if you like.
You can cook the sauce down until desired consistency.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 307
- Sugar: 15.3g
- Sodium: 549.3mg
- Fat: 0.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 59.8g
- Fiber: 14.4g
- Protein: 15.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: bbq beans, bbq navy beans, vegan barbecue beans recipe, vegan smoky bbq beans