This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
I love creating sauces because they really give so much flavor to plant based dishes. Store-bought sauces can be expensive and when you make it at home, you can control the ingredients.
Before we jump into the recipe, let's learn some tips on how to make this delicious sauce.
How to make vegan bbq sauce
I like using organic ketchup but you can use your favorite. You can also use sugar free ketchup if you like.
Blackstrap molasses, maple syrup and tamari
There are many flavors in this bbq sauce so we'll be using molasses, and then for sweetness, we'll add maple syrup. I also like adding tamari but you can sub for soy sauce if you are not gluten free.
Apple cider vinegar, mustard, smoked paprika, onion and garlic powder
For tanginess, apple cider vinegar mustard works great. I am a fan of brown mustard but you can use dijon if you like.
Sriracha and Liquid smoke (optional)
For spicy taste, you can add some Sriracha. I think adding liquid smoke makes a difference because it gives that smoky flavor but you can omit.
How to make it
- First, you will need to whisk all the ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Next, add the sauce in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Allow it to come to a bubble and then reduce the heat to simmer until it has thickened about 5 to 7 minutes.
- You can serve it immediately or cool it down for better texture and also taste.
How to use it
- Make vegan baked beans or vegan bbq cauliflower
- Spread it on black bean quinoa burger
- Dip roasted potatoes or roasted sweet potatoes
- Also, make vegan bbq chickpeas or BBQ Jackfruit pizza
Tips & Variations
- You can make this vegan bbq sauce spicier by adding cayenne pepper or more Sriracha.
- Taste and adjust the sweetness by adding more maple syrup or tanginess by adding more apple cider vinegar.
- Always adjust to taste and then add salt if needed!
How to store it
You can store this vegan barbecue sauce in the fridge, covered, for up to 4 to 5 days. The flavor and texture are going to get better with time so keep that in mind.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can cook it until you see the consistency getting thicker and then allow it to cool down in the fridge.
You can add a tablespoon of water add a time until you reach the consistency you want.
Yes, feel free to use it and adjust to taste.
This homemade sauce comes together so quickly and it is very easy and versatile. It is also:
- Perfect for many dishes
- Smoky and sweet
- Also so delicious!
More plant based sauces & dips to try
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This homemade vegan bbq sauce is flavorful, quick, and so easy to make! It is gluten free, perfect for dipping fries or many plant based dishes.
- 1 cup organic ketchup
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 2 to 3 tablespoons maple syrup (adjust to taste)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard or dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon tamari (sub for soy sauce if not gluten free)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 3 tablespoons water
- Add all the ingredients to a medium bowl and whisk well.
- Add the sauce in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Allow to come to a bubble and then reduce the heat to simmer until it thickened about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve it immediately or cool it down for better texture and taste.
Make it spicier by adding cayenne pepper or more Sriracha.
Taste and adjust the sweetness by adding more maple syrup or tanginess by adding more apple cider vinegar.
Always adjust to taste, add salt if needed!
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 87
- Sugar: 17.4g
- Sodium: 662mg
- Fat: 0.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21.1g
- Fiber: .2G
- Protein: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan barbecue sauce, vegetarian bbq sauce, homemade bbq sauce, quick bbq sauce