This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This creamy vegan black bean dip is the best because it is so easy to make and healthy! In addition, it's gluten free, homemade, spicy, and quick to make.
This vegan black bean dip is made with simple ingredients but it's so flavorful. It makes an amazing dip for tortilla chips and it's also delicious with pita chips or bread.
Before we jump into the recipe, let's talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
How to make vegan black bean dip
We will be using canned black beans so this recipe comes together very fast. You will need to make sure that you drain and rinse them.
Onion and garlic
We will be sauteeing some onion and garlic because they give a lot of flavors. You can always adjust to taste and then add more garlic if you want.
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
We will be using the chipotle peppers and adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. You can adjust to taste and add less or more depending on your spice preference.
Lime Juice & Cumin
Freshly squeezed lime juice gives it a tangy flavor so I don't recommend omitting it. You can also use lemon juice if that's what you have.
Oil and salt
I like using avocado oil but you can use olive oil instead. Always adjust to taste and then add more salt if needed.
How to make it
- First, place a medium-sized pan over medium heat. Add the oil to the pan and when the oil is hot, add the onions and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until soft. And then add the garlic, cook for another minute, turn off the heat.
- Next, add all the ingredients including the cooked onions and garlic in a food processor. Blend until you reach the desired consistency. You can also adjust the consistency by adding more water. Serve immediately or store for later.
How to use it
There are so many ways to use it but here are some ideas:
- Serve it with tortilla chips or pita chips.
- Dip veggies or crackers.
- You can also use it as a spread.
Tips & variations
- If the recipe is too thick, you can also add more water.
- Always adjust to taste and then add more salt if needed!
How to store it
You can store it in the fridge, covered, for up to 1 week. You can either serve it cold or warm it up before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can cook the onions and garlic with water to keep it oil free.
Yes, as long as you cook them completely and keep the proportions the same.
I prefer the consistency when using a food processor but if you want it to be smoother and not a lot of texture, you can use a blender.
This homemade dip recipe comes together in 10 minutes and it is very easy. It is also:
- Gluten free and Soy free
- So delicious!
More plant based sauces & dips to try
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This creamy vegan black bean dip is so easy to make and healthy! It's gluten free, homemade, spicy, and quick to make.
- 1 (15oz) can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 chipotle pepper and 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (adjust to taste)
- 1 small yellow onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (sub for olive oil)
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon water (adjust as needed)
- ¼ teaspoon salt or more
- Place a medium pan over medium heat. Add the oil to the pan and when the oil is hot, add the onions and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic, cook for another minute, turn off the heat.
- Add all the ingredients including the cooked onions and garlic in a food processor. Blend until you reached the desired consistency.
- Adjust the consistency by adding more water if needed. Serve immediately or store for later.
Always adjust to taste and then add more salt if needed!
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 0.8g
- Sodium: 195.7mg
- Fat: 2.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13.8g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: black bean dip, spicy black ben dip. vegetarian black bean dip