This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This creamy vegan broccoli potato soup is healthy, quick, and so easy to make. In addition, it’s gluten free, dairy free, perfect for meal prep and weeknight dinners.
I love homemade soups because they are filling, satisfying and warming so this vegan broccoli potato soup is a favorite. You only need a few ingredients but it has a lot of flavors and it tastes cheesy.
If you love creamy soups like this, you should also try my vegan mushroom soup, red lentil soup, split pea soup, vegan lemon rice soup, vegan cauliflower soup or potato leek soup. They are an easy way to eat veggies and also quick to make for busy nights.
Before we jump into the recipe, let’s talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
How to make vegan broccoli potato soup
I am actually not the biggest fan of eating broccoli, I prefer cauliflower as you can tell from my buffalo cauliflower wings, orange cauliflower, or sweet and sour cauliflower recipes. But I find that it works great in this soup and the flavors work perfectly together.
Potatoes make this soup creamy and also filling. I usually use Yukon gold because you don’t need to peel them if you prefer not to.
Onion & Garlic
I like using yellow onions because I find they caramelize better. Adding lots of garlic also gives this dish so much flavor.
Water or Broth
For liquid I usually use water but you can use vegetable broth if you like. Make sure to add the salt accordingly because some broths can be very salty.
Nutritional Yeast, Raw Cashews and Fresh Thyme
For a cheesy taste, we will add nutritional yeast and for a creamy texture, we’ll use raw cashews. Also, using fresh thyme really makes this vegan soup taste great so I don’t recommend subbing for dry thyme.
Oil & Salt
I like using avocado oil for my cooking but you can use coconut or olive oil. I also like adding pink Himalayan salt but feel free to swap for regular sea salt.
How to make it
- First, we will start by sautéing onions in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat until soft for a few minutes. And then add the garlic and cook for a minute. After that, you can add the potatoes and sauté for a couple more minutes.
- Now, you can add the broccoli florets and raw cashews, cook for a couple of more minutes. Add the water/broth, nutritional yeast, fresh thyme, salt and turn the heat up to boil and then simmer, covered for 20 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- After it’s cooked, transfer the soup into a highspeed blender and blend until creamy. You might need to do this in two batches. Carefully, transfer the blended vegan broccoli potato soup back into the pot and cook for another 2 minutes. Serve immediately or store for later.
Tips & Variations
- If the soup is too thick, you can add more water or broth.
- If it’s too watery, cook it a little bit longer after blending it.
- You can make it spicy by adding red pepper flakes.
- Always adjust to taste! Add more salt if needed.
Can you use frozen broccoli?
Yes! It may not be as flavorful as fresh but you can use frozen broccoli if that’s what you have.
How to store vegan broccoli potato soup
When stored properly, vegan broccoli potato soup will last 3 to 4 days so just place it in an air-tight container and then store it in the fridge. Leftovers will be thicker so you can add some water before reheating it.
It takes 35 minutes to put this delicious, filling and satisfying vegan soup on the table. It is also:
- Easy, Hearty, and Healthy
- Cozy & Comforting
- Dairy free & Gluten free
- Meal-prep friendly and perfect for weeknights
More plant based potato recipes to try
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This creamy vegan broccoli potato soup is healthy, quick, and so easy to make. It’s gluten free, dairy free, perfect for meal prep and weeknight dinners.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 medium size Yukon gold potatoes (diced, peeled if prefered)
- 6 cups loosely packed broccoli florets (chopped)
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 6 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 tsp fresh thyme (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, add the oil, when oil is hot, add the onions and cook until soft for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute until fragrant. Add the potatoes and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Now, add the broccoli florets and raw cashews, cook for a couple of more minutes. Add the water/broth, nutritional yeast, fresh thyme, salt and turn the heat up to boil and then simmer, covered for 20 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- After it’s cooked, carefully transfer the soup into a highspeed blender and blend until creamy (You might need to do this in two batches). Transfer the blended soup back into the pot and cook for another 2 minutes. Serve immediately or store for later.
If the soup is too thick, add more water or broth.
If it’s too watery, cook it a little bit longer after blending it.
Make it spicy by adding red pepper flakes.
Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 372
- Sugar: 6.6g
- Sodium: 375.5mg
- Fat: 16.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 48.1g
- Fiber: 9.7g
- Protein: 13.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan broccoli soup, dairy free broccoli soup, broccoli potato soup