This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This Mexican inspired vegan burrito bowl is so easy and quick to make and also customizable! In addition, it is gluten-free, soy-free, healthy and perfect for weeknight dinners, meal-prep or a great lunch!
This recipe uses canned young jackfruit but you can easily swap it for tofu or more beans if you like! If you don’t have time to make some of the sauces, you can also use store-bought sauces.
When you cook “pulled” jackfruit, you can use it as a plant-based replacement for carnitas or barbacoa so it works great in this burrito bowl. Canned young jackfruit has a very neutral flavor just like tofu so it absorbs whatever seasoning or marinade you use.
How to make vegan burrito bowl
It’s so easy to make this burrito bowl and also most of the ingredients are pantry staples!
Cilantro lime Quinoa
I usually have leftover cilantro lime quinoa in my fridge because it’s so easy to meal-prep and use it for Mexican inspired dishes. You can also use white or brown rice for these burrito bowls.
In this jackfruit recipe, I used a can of young green jackfruit, onion, garlic, chipotle in adobo sauce, lime juice, serrano or jalapeno pepper (optional) and a dash of maple syrup (optional) but you can totally customize the flavors.
If you don’t want to use chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, you can try different seasonings like smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, chipotle powder or taco seasoning.
Homemade salsa is the best but if you don’t have time to make it, just use your favorite salsa!
Vegan Sour Cream
The tangy flavor works great for these bowls so I recommend making the vegan sour cream recipe and takes less than 5 minutes to make! But feel free to use your favorite sour cream for a short cut.
Purple cabbage gives a great crunch and also adds a pop of color. You can also add some Romain lettuce or finely chopped massaged kale.
Add some chopped cilantro, green onions or jalapeno as a garnish because the garnish makes this recipe flavorful.
Tips & Variations
There are many ways you can try and customize these burrito bowls so here are some suggestions:
- Add cooked bell peppers and also you can add corn with the beans or separately.
- If you like it spicier, add some hot sauce on top!
- You can also swap the jackfruit for tofu and cook it “sofritas” style like at Chipotle. You can use the same instructions as the jackfruit and just add crumbled tofu.
How to meal prep vegan burrito bowl
- Cook the quinoa, jackfruit and beans and then divide them into storage containers, store them in the fridge.
- Make the salsa and vegan sour cream and store them in separate air tight storage containers and store them in the fridge.
- Before eating, make the guacamole fresh and add the purple cabbage. Stored ingredients should last 3-4 days in the fridge.
These vegan burrito bowls come together so quickly and they are very versatile. They are also :
- Gluten-free, soy-free and plant-based
- A great alternative to barbacoa or carnitas burrito bowls
- Easy and healthy to make
- also delicious!
More Mexican inspired plant-based recipes to try
- VEGAN JACKFRUIT TACOS (EASY & SOY-FREE)
- VEGAN BREAKFAST BURRITO (EASY & HEALTHY)
- HOW TO MAKE TAMALES (VEGAN & STEP BY STEP)
- VEGAN BURRITO (EASY & HEALTHY)
So did you make these? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This Mexican inspired vegan burrito bowl is so easy and quick to make and also customizable! It is gluten-free, soy-free, healthy and perfect for weeknight dinners, meal-prep or a great lunch!
- 1 can young green jackfruit in water or brine.
- 1/2 yellow onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1/2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce plus 1 tsp of the adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or other oil of choice)
- optional: 1/2 serrano or jalapeno pepper
- optional: a dash of maple syrup
Rest of the ingredients
- Prepare the jackfruit according to this post if you have never used jackfruit before.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add the diced onions and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions have softened and started to become translucent.
- Add the chopped/pulled jackfruit, minced garlic, lime juice, chipotle pepper in adobo sauce plus a little bit of the sauce (or any other seasoning of choice), water, maple syrup, and salt to the pot. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes stirring frequently.
- If jackfruit is sticking to the bottom of the pot, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water to keep it moist.
- Uncover the pot and turn the heat up to medium, cook for another 2 minutes until you have the desired texture. Remove from the heat.
- While jackfruit is cooking, prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the jackfruit, cilantro lime quinoa, refried beans, guacamole, salsa, vegan sour cream in a bowl. And then garnish it with shredded purple cabbage, sliced jalapeno, chopped cilantro and green onions. Mix it and enjoy it!
Use less chipotle peppers if you don’t like it spicy.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 196
- Sugar: 9.2g
- Sodium: 476.6mg
- Fat: 4.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Protein: 6.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: how to make burrito bowl, chipotle burrito bowl, vegan burrito bowl, vegan burrito bowl recipe, vegetarian burrito bowl