This Mexican inspired vegan burrito bowl is so easy and quick to make and also customizable! It is gluten-free, soy-free, healthy and perfect for weeknight dinners, meal-prep or a great lunch!
- 1 can young green jackfruit in water or brine.
- 1/2 yellow onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1/2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce plus 1 tsp of the adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or other oil of choice)
- optional: 1/2 serrano or jalapeno pepper
- optional: a dash of maple syrup
Rest of the ingredients
- Prepare the jackfruit according to this post if you have never used jackfruit before.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add the diced onions and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions have softened and started to become translucent.
- Add the chopped/pulled jackfruit, minced garlic, lime juice, chipotle pepper in adobo sauce plus a little bit of the sauce (or any other seasoning of choice), water, maple syrup, and salt to the pot. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes stirring frequently.
- If jackfruit is sticking to the bottom of the pot, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water to keep it moist.
- Uncover the pot and turn the heat up to medium, cook for another 2 minutes until you have the desired texture. Remove from the heat.
- While jackfruit is cooking, prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the jackfruit, cilantro lime quinoa, refried beans, guacamole, salsa, vegan sour cream in a bowl. And then garnish it with shredded purple cabbage, sliced jalapeno, chopped cilantro and green onions. Mix it and enjoy it!
Use less chipotle peppers if you don't like it spicy.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 196
- Sugar: 9.2g
- Sodium: 476.6mg
- Fat: 4.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Protein: 6.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: how to make burrito bowl, chipotle burrito bowl, vegan burrito bowl, vegan burrito bowl recipe, vegetarian burrito bowl