This vegan butter chicken recipe is healthy, plant based, made with cauliflower, simple, and so easy to make! It’s creamy, gluten free, soy free, customizable, and perfect for meal prep and made in one pot!
- 1 head of cauliflower (cut into bite size florets)
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger (minced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp arrowroot and 2 tsp water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (13.5 oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- In a large pot or a dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter and cook the onions until caramelized for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, spices, salt and tomato paste, cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the cauliflower florets and cook for another minute. Mix the arrowroot with 2 tsp of water in a small bowl, add the mixture to the pot along with coconut milk. Bring it to a boil, cover and turn the heat low to simmer for 17 to 20 minutes until cauliflower is fork tender.
- Serve over rice, with naan bread. Garnish with cilantro and lime juice.
Make it spicy by adding chili powder or chopped serrano pepper.
If the sauce is too thick, add 1/4 cup of water add a time. You don’t want it to be soupy, it should be a thick stew.
You can roast the cauliflower in the oven before adding it.
Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed!
- Serving Size: 4-6
- Calories: 262
- Sugar: 7.8g
- Sodium: 721.4mg
- Fat: 19.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20.7g
- Fiber: 5.9g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan butter chicken, butter cauliflower, vegan butter cauliflower, vegetarian butter chicken