This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This creamy vegan carrot ginger soup recipe is healthy, plant based, made with coconut milk and so easy to make. In addition, it's gluten free, dairy free, perfect for meal prep, and weeknight dinners.
I love homemade soups because they are filling, satisfying, and warming so this vegan carrot soup is another favorite. You only need a few ingredients but it has a lot of flavors.
If you love creamy soups like this, you should also try my vegan mushroom soup, red lentil soup, vegan broccoli potato soup, split pea soup, vegan lemon rice soup, vegan cauliflower soup or vegan potato corn chowder. They are an easy way to eat veggies and also quick to make for busy nights.
Before we jump into the recipe, let's talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
How to make Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup
Carrots & Ginger
I usually don't peel the carrots but you can if you like. Fresh ginger gives so much flavor to this soup so I don't recommend subbing for ground ginger.
We will be using full fat coconut milk because it makes it so creamy. If you sub for light coconut milk, it won't be as creamy so keep that in mind.
Onion & Garlic
I like using yellow onions because I find they caramelize better. Adding lots of garlic also gives this dish so much flavor.
Water or Broth
For liquid I usually use water but you can use vegetable broth if you like. Make sure to add the salt accordingly because some broths can be very salty.
Fresh Thyme & Lemon Juice
Fresh herbs make all the difference when it comes to soups so fresh thyme works great. I also like adding a little bit of lemon juice for a tangy flavor.
Oil & Salt
I like using avocado oil for my cooking but you can use coconut or olive oil. Make sure to always adjust the salt according to your preference.
How to make it
- First, we will start by sautéing onions in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat until soft for a few minutes. And then add the carrots and cook for a few more minutes.
- Now, you can add the garlic and ginger, cook for another minute until fragrant. Add the water/broth, coconut milk, fresh thyme, salt and turn the heat up to boil and then simmer, covered for 25 to 30 minutes until carrots are soft.
- After it's cooked, add the lemon juice to the pot and then use an immersion blender to blend until smooth and creamy. You can also transfer the soup into a highspeed blender like a Vitamix and blend until creamy.
- Carefully, transfer the blended vegan carrot ginger soup back into the pot and cook for another minute. Serve immediately or store for later.
Tips & Variations
- If the soup is too thick, you can add more water or broth.
- If it's too watery, cook it a little bit longer after blending it.
- You can make it spicy by adding red pepper flakes.
- If you cut the carrots smaller, they will cook faster.
- Always adjust to taste! Add more salt if needed.
How to store vegan carrot ginger soup leftovers
When stored properly, vegan carrot ginger soup will last 3 to 4 days so just place it in an air-tight container and then store it in the fridge. Leftovers might be thicker so you can add some water before reheating.
It's easy to make this delicious, filling and satisfying vegan soup. It is also:
- Cozy & Comforting
- Dairy free & Gluten free
- Meal prep friendly and perfect for weeknights
More plant based side dishes to try
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Buffalo Cauliflower Salad
- Vegan Thai Coconut Soup
- Buffalo Mac and Cheese
- Kale Avocado Salad
- Vegan White Bean Soup
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This creamy vegan carrot ginger soup recipe is healthy, plant based, made with coconut milk and so easy to make. It's gluten free, dairy free, perfect for meal prep and weeknight dinners.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoon fresh ginger (grated)
- 6 large carrots (chopped small)
- 2 and ½ cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 (13.5 ounces) can full fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, add the oil and when the oil hot, add the onions and cook until soft for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots to the pot and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger, cook for another minute until fragrant. Add the water/broth, coconut milk, fresh thyme, salt and turn the heat up to boil and then simmer, covered for 25 to 30 minutes until carrots are soft.
- Add the lemon juice to the pot and then use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth and creamy. You can also transfer the soup into a highspeed blender like a Vitamix and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Carefully, transfer the blended soup back into the pot and cook for another minute. Serve immediately or store for later.
If the soup is too thick, add more water or broth.
If it's too watery, cook it a little bit longer after blending it.
Make it spicy by adding red pepper flakes.
If you cut the carrots smaller, they will cook faster.
Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serving Size: 2-4
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 8.6g
- Sodium: 892.2mg
- Fat: 29.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 23.2g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: carrot ginger soup, vegan carrot soup, easy carrot ginger soup