This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This creamy vegan cauliflower soup is healthy, quick, simple and so easy to make. In addition, it’s gluten free, dairy free, perfect for meal prep, or weeknight dinners.
I like soups that are filling, satisfying, and hearty so this vegan cauliflower soup is great. You only need a few ingredients but it has a lot of flavors.
If you love creamy soups like this, you should also try my red lentil soup, split pea soup, vegan broccoli potato soup or potato leek soup. They are an easy way to eat veggies and also quick to make for busy nights.
Before we jump into the recipe, let’s talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
How to make vegan cauliflower soup
I am a big fan of cauliflower as you can tell from my buffalo cauliflower wings, orange cauliflower, or sweet and sour cauliflower so this recipe is another favorite. It is so versatile and works great for plant based dishes.
Potatoes make this soup creamy and also filling. I usually use yukon gold but you can use russet or a different variety if you prefer.
Onion & Garlic
I like using yellow onions because I find they caramelize better. Adding lots of garlic also gives this dish so much flavor.
Water or Broth and Unsweetened Plant Based Milk
For liquid I usually use water but you can use broth if you like. I also add some unsweetened plant based milk for extra creaminess.
Thyme, Bay leaf and Smoked Paprika
Using fresh thyme really makes this vegan soup taste great so I don’t recommend subbing for dry thyme. I also add a bay leaf and smoked paprika for extra flavor.
Oil & Salt
I like using avocado oil for my cooking but you can use coconut or olive oil. I also like adding pink Himalayan salt but feel free to swap for regular sea salt.
How to make it
- First, we will start by sautéing onions until soft for a few minutes and then add the garlic and cook for a minute. After that, you can add the cauliflower, potatoes, smoked paprika, fresh thyme, salt, and sauté a little bit longer.
- Now, you can add the water/broth, plant based milk, bay leaf and turn the heat up to boil and then simmer, covered for 20 to 30 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- After it’s cooked, take out the bay leaf and using an immersion blender to blend the soup until creamy. You can also transfer the soup to a standard blender, but be careful because it will be very hot. Serve immediately.
Tips & Variations
- If you want your soup to be more chunky, don’t blend it as much.
- If the soup is too thick, you can add more water or broth.
- You can make it spicy by adding red pepper flakes.
- Always adjust to taste! You will probably need to add more salt to taste since this soup has mild flavors.
How to store vegan cauliflower soup
When stored properly, vegan cauliflower soup will last 3 to 4 days so just place it in an air-tight container and then store it in the fridge. Leftovers will be thicker so you can add some water before reheating it.
It takes 35 minutes to put this delicious, filling and satisfying vegan soup on the table. It is also:
- Easy, Hearty and Healthy
- Cozy & Comforting
- Dairy free & Gluten free
- Meal-prep friendly and perfect for weeknights
More plant based recipes to try
- THAI PEANUT NOODLES
- MEATBALLS RECIPE (GLUTEN-FREE & EASY)
- PAD THAI (EASY & HEALTHY)
- LENTIL BOLOGNESE
- PASTA SALAD (EASY & QUICK)
- BLACK BEAN QUINOA BURGER
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This creamy vegan cauliflower soup is healthy, quick, simple & so easy to make. It’s gluten free, dairy free, perfect for meal prep, or weeknight dinners.
- 1 small head of cauliflower (cut into bite-size florets)
- 3 medium yukon gold potatoes (peeled if preferred, chopped)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 5 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (sub for olive oil)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened plant based milk
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- In a large pan over medium heat, add the oil and when the oil is hot, add the onions and cook until soft for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower florets, potatoes, smoked paprika, fresh thyme, salt, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the water/broth, plant based milk, bay leaf and turn the heat up to boil and then simmer, covered for 20 to 30 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- After it’s cooked, take out the bay leaf and using an immersion blender to blend the soup until creamy. (You can also transfer the soup to a standard blender, but be careful because it will be very hot)
- Serve immediately.
If you want your soup to be more chunky, you don’t need to blend it as much.
If the soup is too thick, add more water or broth.
If you want to make it spicy, add red pepper flakes.
Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 205
- Sugar: 4.4g
- Sodium: 667.2mg
- Fat: 4.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 37.2g
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Protein: 5.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: dairy free cauliflower soup, one pot cauliflower soup, creamy cauliflower and potato soup