This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This vegan cheese sauce recipe is creamy, smooth, satisfying, quick, and also so easy to make! In addition, it’s plant-based, gluten-free, healthy, customizable, and perfect for nachos or chili cheese fries!
After you make it, you’ll want to drizzle it on everything so be warned! This cheese sauce has an amazing consistency kind of like queso so it will work for many dishes like my vegan mac and cheese recipe!
You can really customize this dip by adding different spices and also more garlic. You can add more lemon juice for a tangy flavor or more nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor. If you love cashew-based sauces and dips, you might also like my hollandaise sauce or vegan buffalo chicken dip!
Before we jump into the recipe, let’s learn some tips on how to make this delicious cheese alternative.
What is this vegan cheese sauce recipe made of
So, there are different ways to make the vegan cheese sauce and some of them use potatoes or other vegetables. We will be using cashews because it makes it so creamy and delicious.
How do you make vegan cheese sauce
We will be using soaked raw cashews for the base so we can achieve the creamy texture. I don’t recommend using roasted cashews because it will change the flavor.
Nutritional yeast will give this dip that cheesy flavor so I don’t recommend omitting it. You can also add more for more cheese flavor if you prefer.
Freshly squeezed lemon juice gives this sauce a tangy flavor but you can sub for lime juice. So, if you like more tangy flavor, play around and add more lemon juice.
I added one clove of garlic but you can add more if you like that garlicky taste. You can also use garlic powder instead.
Smoked Paprika, Cumin and Turmeric
To give this dip a little kick, you can add some smoked paprika and cumin. Also, we add a little turmeric for that yellow cheesy color.
I usually use pink Himalayan salt but feel free to use regular sea salt. Also, always adjust to taste, it may need more salt!
How to make vegan cheese dip
- First, you will need to soak the cashews, drain and then add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender. After that, blend it until very smooth and creamy.
- Next, we will be cooking this sauce gently for a few minutes until it thickens and becomes so creamy. You may need to add more water depending on the consistency you want.
What do you use dairy-free cheese sauce for
- Serve it as an appetizer with tortilla chips.
- Make chili cheese fries with it!
- Use it as a cheese sauce to make mac and cheese.
- Add it to Mexican dishes like tacos, burritos, or burrito bowls.
Tips & Variations
- This makes a big batch so if you need to make less, you can cut the proportions in half. But you will probably need a smaller base blender to blend it smooth since you have less ingredients.
- If the sauce is too thick, you can also add more water.
- You can add a touch of maple syrup for a little sweetness or a little cayenne for a spicy taste.
- Always adjust to taste!
How long does vegan cheese sauce last?
You can store this dip in the fridge, covered, for up to 1 week. You may need to add a little bit of water if the consistency got very thick.
This homemade sauce comes together so quickly and it is very easy and versatile. It is also:
- Ultra creamy
- Gluten-free and dairy-free
- Also so delicious!
More plant based sauces & dips to try
- BEST TAHINI SAUCE (EASY & CREAMY)
- AVOCADO CREMA (HEALTHY & EASY)
- BEST CREAMY HUMMUS (EASY & OIL-FREE!)
- BEST HOMEMADE GUACAMOLE RECIPE (EASY & HEALTHY)
- SOUR CREAM (EASY & SOY-FREE)
- THAI PEANUT SAUCE (5-MINUTE)
- RANCH DRESSING
- CAESAR DRESSING
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This vegan cheese sauce recipe is creamy, smooth, satisfying, quick, and so easy to make! It’s plant-based, gluten-free, healthy, customizable, and perfect for nachos or chili cheese fries!
- Soak the cashews several hours or alternatively, quick soak them in hot water for 15 minutes and drain.
- Add all the ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, add the cheese sauce from the blender. Whisk it consistently and warm it for a few minutes until the sauce is thickened. Add more water depending on how thick you want it. Adjust to taste.
This recipe makes a big batch. If you need less, cut the proportions in half. Note, if you don’t have a small base blender, it will be hard to blend until creamy with less ingredients.
If it’s too thick, add more water.
Always adjust to taste, add more salt if needed.
- Serving Size: 12
- Calories: 141
- Sugar: 1.4g
- Sodium: 200.6mg
- Fat: 10.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 8.9g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan cheese sauce, vegan cheese sauce recipe, vegan cheese, vegan queso, vegan nacho cheese