This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This vegan chicken noodle soup is the best because it's healthy, plant based, made with jackfruit and so easy to make. In addition, it's gluten free, dairy free, perfect for meal prep, or weeknight dinners.
I like soups that are filling, satisfying, and hearty so this vegetarian chicken noodle soup is perfect. I love using jackfruit in my recipes because it's so versatile and works great in many dishes like jackfruit stew, vegan buffalo chicken dip, jackfruit curry, BBQ jackfruit pizza or BBQ jackfruit sandwiches.
If you love creamy soups like this, you should also try my vegan lemon rice soup, red lentil soup, split pea soup, vegan broccoli potato soup, vegan mushroom soup, or potato leek soup. They are an easy way to eat veggies and also quick to make for busy nights.
Before we jump into the recipe, let's talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
How to make vegan chicken noodle soup
Preparing jackfruit is a lot easier than you think but most importantly, you will need to buy jackfruit in water or brine, not in syrup! I prefer buying it in water because I like that it doesn't have the brine flavor.
Since egg noodles are not vegan, you can use another kind of pasta if you can't find an egg-free version. To keep it gluten free, I like using gluten free lasagna noodles and break them into smaller pieces.
Onion & Garlic
I like using yellow onions because I find they caramelize better. Adding lots of garlic also gives this dish so much flavor.
Vegan Chicken Broth or Vegetable broth
Using vegan chicken broth gives a lot of flavors so I highly recommend it if you can find it in your grocery store. If you are not able to find it, you can also use vegetable broth.
Celery and Carrots
Make sure to chop celery and carrots small so they cook faster and they will also be easier to eat. You can add more or less if you like.
Thyme, Oregano and Bay leaves
Using fresh thyme and oregano really makes this vegan soup taste great so I don't recommend subbing for dry thyme. I also add bay leaves for extra flavor.
Oil & Salt
I like using avocado oil for my cooking but you can use coconut or olive oil. I also like adding pink Himalayan salt but feel free to swap for regular sea salt.
How to make it
- First, you will start by preparing the rinsed and drained jackfruit by pulling it apart with your hands to give it a shredded chicken texture. You can chop the jackfruit seeds into small pieces or discard them.
- Next, add oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat and cook the onions until soft for a few minutes. And then add the garlic, celery, carrots, jackfruit, salt and cook for a few more minutes.
- Now, you can add the fresh thyme, oregano, and bay leaves, cook for 2 more minutes. Now it's time to add the broth and turn the heat up to boil and keep it boiling for 5 to 7 minutes until the carrots are softer.
- While it's boiling, add the noodles into the pot and cook until they are soft for 12 to 15 minutes according to the packaging. Take out the bay leaves and serve immediately or store for later.
Tips & Variations
- This soup is thick so you can add more broth if you like your soup more watery.
- You can add nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor.
- Also, you can add some lemon juice when serving for a tangy flavor.
- Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed.
How to store vegan chicken noodle soup
When stored properly, vegan chicken noodle soup will last 3 to 4 days so just place it in an air-tight container and then store it in the fridge. Leftovers will be thicker so you can add some water or broth before reheating it.
It's quick to put this delicious, filling and satisfying plant based soup on the table. It is also:
- Easy, Hearty and Healthy
- Cozy & Comforting
- Dairy free & Gluten free
- Meal-prep friendly and perfect for weeknights
More plant based recipes to try
- THAI PEANUT NOODLES
- MEATBALLS RECIPE (GLUTEN-FREE & EASY)
- PAD THAI (EASY & HEALTHY)
- LENTIL BOLOGNESE
- PASTA SALAD (EASY & QUICK)
- BLACK BEAN QUINOA BURGER
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This vegan chicken noodle soup is healthy, plant based, made with jackfruit and so easy to make. It's gluten free, dairy free, perfect for meal prep, or weeknight dinners.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 2 large carrots (sliced)
- 2 (14 ounces) cans jackfruit in water or brine (not in syrup! rinse and drain)
- ½ tsp to 1 salt - adjust to taste
- 2 tsp fresh oregano (chopped)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme (chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups vegan chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 10 or 12 ounces gluten free pasta (sub for regular pasta- break up lasagna noodles or use small shaped)
- pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (optional for serving)
- Add the rinsed and drained jackfruit in a small bowl and pull it apart with your hands to give it a shredded chicken texture. Chop the jackfruit seeds into small pieces or discard them. Set aside.
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, add the oil and when the oil is hot cook the onions until soft for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, celery, carrots, jackfruit, salt and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the fresh thyme, oregano and bay leaves, cook for 2 more minutes. Add the broth and turn the heat up to boil and keep it boiling for 5 to 7 minutes until the carrots are softer.
- While it's boiling, add the noodles into the pot and cook until they are soft for 12 to 15 minutes according to the packaging.
- Take out the bay leaves and serve immediately with pepper to taste and lemon juice (optional) or store for later.
This soup is thick, add more broth if you like your soup more watery.
Add nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor.
Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serving Size: 4-6
- Calories: 371
- Sugar: 19.5g
- Sodium: 1034.6mg
- Fat: 15.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 59.5g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Protein: 6.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegetarian chicken noodle soup, jackfruit chicken noodle soup, meatless chicken noodle soup