This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This homemade vegan chickpea meatballs recipe is healthy, satisfying, baked, quick and also so easy to make! In addition, these Italian inspired vegetarian meatballs are gluten free, customizable and simple!
I know you can make vegan lentil meatballs but using chickpeas is another great way! I am a huge fan of chickpeas because you can use the chickpea liquid in the can (aquafaba) to make egg replacement.
This recipe makes a lot of meatballs so you can easily meal-prep or freeze them. They bake so beautifully, crispy on the outside but soft on the inside.
But, before we jump into the recipe, let’s talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
How to Make Vegan Chickpea Meatballs Step by Step
Chickpeas & Chickpea liquid from the can (Aquafaba)
They are healthy, filling and versatile so I love using them in recipes. Just make sure you are reserving the liquid from the can so we can use it as a binder egg replacement.
To keep this dish gluten-free, I used gluten-free oats but you can use regular oats. Oats help with giving texture to the meatballs and also they are healthy so no breadcrumbs need to be used!
Onion & Garlic Powder
Onion and garlic powder instead of using fresh onion and garlic will give the flavor but it will not add moisture. You can also adjust to taste and add more if you like.
Tomato paste gives a sweet flavor and also that umami taste. In addition, it complements the pasta sauce so it really works in this recipe.
I love using nutritional yeast because it gives that cheesy taste. You can also add more if you like and adjust to taste.
Parsley & Italian Seasoning
Fresh parsley gives so much flavor to these vegan chickpea meatballs but you can sub for cilantro if you are not a fan. We will also use some Italian seasoning for even more flavor!
Oil & Salt
If you would like to keep this vegan meatball recipe oil-free, you can bake them without spraying or brushing oil. They will be more dry but feel free to try.
Vegan Parmesan Cheese (Optional)
I love sprinkling homemade parmesan cheese but you skip if you like.
How to Make it
- We will start by preheating the oven to 425 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. And then add the chickpea liquid from the can (aquafaba) in a small bowl. You will need to whisk it until it’s foamy and thicker because it will help with binding.
- Next, you will need to add the chickpeas in a food processor and pulse a couple of times. Make sure you are not blending it because it will become a paste like hummus.
- Now, add all the ingredients including the whisked chickpea liquid into the food processor with the chickpeas. And then pulse (don’t blend too much) a few times until the ingredients are mixed and the dough is shapeable. If the dough is too moist, add more oats and if it’s too dry, you can add more chickpea liquid.
- Lastly, gently roll/form the dough into meatballs. The texture is soft but it will get hard as it bakes so don’t worry. Spray or brush them with oil and then bake them 25 to 30 minutes at 425 F until golden brown and that’s it!
Tips & Variations
- It is very important that you do not blend the dough and just pulse because you want to leave some texture.
- If the dough is too soft and moist, you can add more oats but the dough will have a soft texture. They will get hard as they cook so keep that in mind.
- If the dough is not moist enough, you can add a little more aquafaba.
- Make it spicy by adding crushed red peppers.
Uses for vegan chickpea meatballs
- You can eat these them with gluten free spaghetti and pasta sauce for an amazing spaghetti and meatballs meal.
- To make it even healthier, add them to vegetable noodles (zoodles)
- They are also great for meatball sandwiches!
- Pair it with a simple cucumber tomato onion salad.
How to store and reheat
You can store them in the fridge, covered, for up to 5 to 6 days. You can also reheat in a 375 F oven until warm.
Can I freeze these vegan chickpea meatballs?
Yes! You can freeze them in a freezer bag or an air-tight container for up to 1 month. Thaw them before reheating at 375 F until warm.
Can I make chickpea burgers with this recipe?
Yes, you should be able to shape them like burgers and bake them that way.
This quick vegan meatballs recipe comes together in 30 minutes and it is very easy and versatile. It is also:
- Gluten-free & soy-free
- Also so delicious!
More healthy plant based recipes using garbanzo beans
- OIL FREE HUMMUS
- EASY FALAFEL BOWL (GLUTEN-FREE)
- FALAFEL RECIPE
- SMASHED CHICKPEA SALAD
- MEDITERRANEAN QUINOA SALAD
- GARBANZO BEANS AVOCADO SALAD
- BUFFALO HUMMUS
- SWEET AND SOUR CHICKPEAS
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This homemade vegan chickpea meatballs recipe is healthy, satisfying, baked, quick and so easy to make! These Italian inspired vegetarian meatballs are gluten free, customizable and simple!
- 2 (15.5 ounces) cans of chickpeas (reserve the liquid)
- 1/2 cup chickpea liquid from the can
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten free if preferred)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- oil for brushing or spray oil (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the chickpea liquid from the can (aquafaba) in a small bowl and whisk it until foamy and thicker.
- Add the chickpeas in a food processor and pulse a couple of times (don’t blend, it should have texture).
- Add all the ingredients including the whisked chickpea liquid into the food processor with the chickpeas. Pulse (don’t blend too much) a few times until the ingredients are mixed and the dough is shapeable. If the dough is too moist, add more oats and if it’s too dry, add more chickpea liquid.
- Gently roll/form the dough into meatballs. The texture is soft but it will get hard as it bakes. If preferred, brush or spray oil and bake them 25 to 30 minutes at 425 F until golden brown.
- Serve with spaghetti and pasta sauce.
It is very important not to blend the dough and just pulse.
If the dough is too soft and moist, add more oats but the dough will have a soft texture until baked.
If the dough is not moist enough, add a little more aquafaba.
Make it spicy by adding crushed red peppers.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 148
- Sugar: 0.6g
- Sodium: 464.1mg
- Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20.9g
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Protein: 7.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan meatballs, chickpea meatballs, vegetarian meatballs, vegan chickpea meatballs