This vegan chow mein recipe is gluten free, satisfying, quick and so easy to make! It's made with a delicious chow mein sauce and customizable with veggies.
- 10 to 12 ounces gluten free capellini noodles (sub for vegan chow mein noodles, ramen, or rice noodles)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 3 cups green cabbage (sliced)
- 3 green onions (sliced)
- 1 and 1/2 cup of snow peas
- 2 stalks of celery (very thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds for garnish
Chow Mein Sauce
- 1/3 cup tamari (sub for low sodium soy sauce if not gluten free)
- 2 teaspoons corn starch or arrowroot
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger (minced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Start by cooking the noodles according to package instructions without overcooking and drain well.
- While the noodles are cooking, make the sauce by adding the sauce ingredients (tamari, corn starch, ginger, garlic, water, maple syrup, Sriracha, apple cider vinegar) to a medium bowl, mix well, and set aside.
- In a large pan or skillet over medium heat, add the toasted sesame oil. When the oil is hot, add the green onions and cook for 2 minutes until soft. Add the snow peas, cabbage, and celery into the pan, cook for another 2 minutes until cabbage is softened.
- Add the sauce into the pan, cook for 2 minutes until it thickens. Add the cooked noodles into the pan, mix really well and cook for 1 more minute.
- Serve and garnish with sesame seeds.
Always adjust to taste, add salt or more tamari if needed.
You can add vegetarian oyster sauce to the sauce to make it more flavorful.
Feel free to change up the vegetables but keep the proportions the same.
Add baked tofu for more protein and texture.
If you don't want to make it spicy, omit Sriracha.
Celery makes a difference in taste and texture so I don't recommend omitting it.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 418
- Sugar: 13.1g
- Sodium: 672.4mg
- Fat: 9.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 77g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegetarian chow mein, veggie chow mein, vegetable chow mein