This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
These vegan corn fritters are easy, quick to make, and also crispy! In addition, this recipe is gluten free, made without eggs, and customizable to make them spicy if preferred.
These vegan fritters are crispy on the outside but soft on the inside just like my vegan crab cakes and vegan potato cakes. You can also make them crispier by cooking them in the air fryer for a little bit after frying in the skillet.
You can eat them by themselves but they are also great for dipping in vegan sour cream, sriracha mayo, vegan chipotle mayo, garlic aioli, thousand island dressing, or tartar sauce. You can make a big batch and serve them at a party! If you love corn, you can also try my vegan potato corn chowder.
Before we jump into the recipe, let's learn some tips and variations.
How to make vegan corn fritters
I used canned corn but you can use frozen corn if you like. Make sure to thaw it before adding it to the mixture.
Gluten free all purpose flour ( sub for regular flour) and corn meal
I use gluten free all purpose flour but you can use regular flour if you prefer. We will also add some cornmeal to give a crunchy texture.
Green Onions (Spring Onions)
Adding lots of spring onions give mild onion flavor but makes it so flavorful. I don't recommend omitting it because they will be bland.
Plant based milk
Nutritional Yeast and maple syrup
Nutritional yeast is a great way to add a cheesy flavor to these vegan corn fritters. I also like adding a little bit of maple syrup for sweetness but you can omit it.
Smoked paprika, garlic powder and baking soda
We will be using a combination of garlic powder and smoked paprika because they give so much flavor. We'll also add some baking soda to the mix.
Oil and Salt
I usually use pink Himalayan sea salt in my cooking but you can use regular sea salt. Avocado oil is great for cooking these fritters but you can use olive oil if needed.
How to make it
- First, you will need to add the dry ingredients and maple syrup (flour, cornmeal, salt, garlic powder, smoked paprika, baking powder, spring onion, nutritional yeast, maple syrup) into a large bowl and then mix well.
- After that, add the milk, stir it to combine, and then add the corn and mix well.
- Next, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and then add the oil. When the oil is hot, add about 2 tablespoons of the mixture to the skillet, press down gently with the back of a spatula to flatten. Cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Make sure not to overcrowd the pan. You can place them on a paper towel to remove the access oil after cooking.
Tips & Variations
- Don't overcrowd the pan so they can be crispy.
- You can try adding cayenne pepper to make it spicy.
- If the dough is too moist, you can add more flour.
- Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed!
How to store vegan corn fritters
You can store the leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 4 to 5 days and then reheat them for 375 F until warm in the oven.
Can you freeze them?
Yes, you can freeze the leftovers in a freezer-friendly storage bag or container for up to 1 month. But make sure to cool them down before freezing them.
These vegan corn fritters are easy and quick to make. They are also:
- Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside
- Perfect as a side, appetizer, or main dish
- Gluten free & Egg free
- And delicious!
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, Selin
More plant based appetizer recipes to try
- VEGAN BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP
- BBQ JACKFRUIT SANDWICHES
- VEGAN BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER WINGS
- SPRING ROLLS WITH PEANUT SAUCE
These vegan corn fritters are easy, quick to make, and crispy! This recipe is gluten free, made without eggs, customizable to make them spicy if preferred.
- 1 ¼ cup canned corn
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour (sub for regular)
- ⅓ cup cornmeal
- 3 spring onions (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¾ cup plant based milk
- 2 to 3 tbsp avocado oil for frying
- Add the dry ingredients and maple syrup (flour, cornmeal, salt, garlic powder, smoked paprika, baking powder, spring onion, nutritional yeast, maple syrup) into a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the milk into the bowl, stir it to combine, and then add the corn and mix well.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add about 2 tablespoons of the mixture to the skillet, press down gently with the back of a spatula to flatten. Cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Try not to overcrowd the pan.
- Place them on a paper towel to remove the excess oil after cooking. Serve with vegan sour cream, sriracha mayo, garlic aioli, thousand island dressing, or tartar sauce.
Add cayenne pepper to make it spicy.
If the dough is too moist, add more flour.
Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed!
- Serving Size: 10
- Calories: 115
- Sugar: 1.5g
- Sodium: 292.2mg
- Fat: 3.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19.7g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan fritters, corn fritters, easy corn fritters