This vegan crab cakes recipe is the best because it is healthy, satisfying and so easy to make! It's gluten-free, made with chickpeas, quinoa, hearts of palm and artichoke hearts!
- 1 can (15.5 oz) chickpeas (reserve the liquid!)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (about 1/4 cup dry quinoa)
- 1 can (14 oz) hearts of palm
- 1 cup artichoke hearts (marinated)
- 1/3 cup liquid in the can of chickpeas (aquafaba)
- 1/4 cup homemade vegan mayo (or store-bought)
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 4 spring onions (chopped small)
- 1 tbsp parsley (chopped small)
- 2 tsp old bay seasoning
- 1 tbsp brown mustard (sub for dijon)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp avocado oil (for frying-sub for another high smoke point oil)
- 1 small pieces of nori sheet (optional-sub for kelp granules)
- Cook the quinoa if you haven't already.
- In the meantime, add the garbanzo beans, hearts of palm, artichoke hearts and small pieces of nori sheets (optional) in a food processor and pulse a few times. Make sure not to blend too much, leave some texture.
- Add the chickpea liquid (aquafaba) in a small bowl and whisk it until it's foamy.
- In a large bowl, add the mixture from the food processor, foamy chickpea liquid, cooked quinoa, mayo, chickpea flour, chopped spring onions, chopped parsley, old bay seasoning, brown mustard, lemon juice, garlic powder and salt, combine well.
- Place the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes (don't skip this step). Form the mixture into small patties (I used a 1/4 measuring cup to measure).
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil and when oil is hot, fry the patties (4 patties at a time, don't overcrowd the pan) for 4 to 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Serve immediately with vegan tartar sauce, chopped parsley and lemon wedges.
Make sure to cook them on medium heat and don't overcrowd the pan.
To make them spicy, add cayenne or crushed red peppers.
If the mixture is too wet, add a little more chickpea flour.
I haven't baked them because they won't be as crispy but you can use an air fryer and experiment with that.
Always adjust to taste, add more salt if needed.
- Serving Size: 10
- Calories: 149
- Sugar: 0.9g
- Sodium: 570.2mg
- Fat: 7.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 15.4g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 5.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan crab cakes, crabless crab cakes, hearts of palm cakes, vegetarian crab cakes