This homemade Vegan French Onion Dip is so easy to make and crowd pleaser! It's gluten free, dairy free, creamy, and is simply the best!
- 1 1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked & drained)
- 1 yellow onion (sliced)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo (homemade mayo or storebought)
- 2 tsp tamari (sub for soy sauce or coconut aminos)
- 1 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- Place the cashews in a medium bowl and add hot water, soak for about 15 minutes and drain.
- In the meantime, in a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the oil and cook the onions for about 25 to 30 minutes until caramelized. Stir it every 5 minutes and add a splash of water or vegetable broth to deglaze the pan when the onions get dry. Make sure it is very caramelized.
- While the onions are cooking, add the soaked cashews to a high speed blender along with nutritional yeast, onion and garlic powder, tamari, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt and water (except caramelized onions and mayo) and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the dip in a bowl and mix the caramelized onions and mayo well. Refrigerate it at least 1 hour before serving and garnish with green onions. Serve with crackers or chips.
If the dip is too thick, add a little more water in the blender before blending.
Don't skip placing it in the fridge for at least 1 hour so it will be cold and the flavors will be better.
Always adjust to taste and add salt if needed!
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 272
- Sugar: 2.8g
- Sodium: 587.9mg
- Fat: 21.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 15.8g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 7.2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan french onion dip, vegan onion dip, dairy free french onion dip