This vegan general tso's cauliflower recipe is plant based, satisfying and so easy to make! It is gluten free, perfect as a side dish or dinner!
- 1 large head cauliflower
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil (sub for olive oil)
General Tso's Sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup tamari (sub for soy sauce if not gluten free)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (minced)
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce (gluten free version if preferred)
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch + 2 teaspoons water
- Preheat the oven to 450 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a knife or your hands, separate the cauliflower into small florets.
- In a large bowl, add the cauliflower florets and drizzle the 4 tablespoons avocado oil, mix well. Add the ¼ cup cornstarch to the florets and combine until all the pieces coated evenly
- Transfer the cauliflower florets onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake them at 425F for about 20 to 25 minutes flipping halfway through.
- 10 minutes before the cauliflower is done baking, add the 2 teaspoons of corn starch with 2 teaspoons of water in a medium bowl and whisk well. Add the sesame oil, tamari, vinegar, garlic, ginger, hoisin sauce, 1/4 cup water, maple syrup, and red pepper flakes into the bowl and whisk well.
- Transfer the sauce to a large pan over medium heat, cook until the sauce is thicker for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer the baked cauliflower florets to the pan with the General Tso's sauce and stir gently until all the pieces are coated. Turn off the heat and serve immediately.
Avoid overcrowding the baking sheet.
If you want it to be spicier, add more red pepper flakes.
If you want to make the sauce thicker, cook it longer. If it's too thick, you can add more water.
You can use an air fryer to make them crispy.
Always adjust to taste and add salt if needed!
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 239
- Sugar: 5.4g
- Sodium: 1134.1mg
- Fat: 15.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21.1g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 6.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.1mg
Keywords: general tso's cauliflower, baked general tso's cauliflower, easy general tso's cauliflower