This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
These Mexican inspired vegan jackfruit tacos are so easy and quick to make because we will be using canned jackfruit! In addition, they are gluten-free, soy free, healthy, versatile and perfect for weeknight dinners!
Since I started cooking with jackfruit, I always have a couple of cans in my pantry because it’s so versatile. Especially, if you trying to eat more plant based and avoid soy, it is a perfect meat alternative just like my vegan buffalo chicken dip!
When you cook “pulled” jackfruit, you can use it as a plant-based replacement for carnitas or barbacoa. Canned young jackfruit has a very neutral flavor just like tofu so it absorbs whatever seasoning or marinade you use. Try these BBQ sandwiches or BBQ pizza if you want a change of flavors!
What is Jackfruit and how to cook it for vegan jackfruit tacos
It is a very large and prickly fruit that grows on a tropical tree so most common in Asian cuisines. It is also increasingly being used as a vegan and vegetarian substitute for meat.
You can also learn how to cook jackfruit if you are new to cooking with it. Here are some things I mentioned in that post so you are ready to cook with it:
- What does jackfruit taste like
- Where to buy it
- Learn to prepare
- also, how to cook it
How to make vegan jackfruit tacos
It’s so easy to make these vegan carnitas tacos and also most of the ingredients are pantry staples!
In this recipe, I used a can of young green jackfruit, onion, garlic, chipotle in adobo sauce, lime juice, serrano or jalapeno pepper (optional), and a dash of maple syrup (optional) but you can totally customize the flavors.
I usually use corn tortillas but you can also use gluten-free flour tortillas for this recipe.
Homemade salsa is the best but if you don’t have time to make it, just use your favorite salsa!
Vegan Sour Cream
I feel like tacos need that tangy flavor so this vegan sour cream recipe takes less than 5 minutes to make! Also, feel free to swap it for store-bought sour cream if you want.
Possibilities are endless when it comes to garnishing this spicy and delicious dish so use shredded purple cabbage, red onions, cilantro, radishes, and lime juice!
Variations for seasoning
There are many seasonings you can try and customize for the jackfruit so here are some suggestions:
- Smoked paprika
- Chili Powder
- Chipotle Powder
- Taco seasoning
How to store cooked jackfruit
So, you can store it up to 4-5 days in the refrigerator or up to 1 month in the freezer. You can also reheat in a skillet for a few minutes, adding a splash of water if it is dry.
These delicious tacos come together so quickly and they are very versatile. They are also :
- Gluten-free, soy-free and plant-based
- A great alternative to barbacoa or carnitas tacos
- Smoky and Spicy
- Easy and healthy to make
- also delicious!
More Mexican inspired plant-based recipes to try
- VEGAN BURRITO (EASY & HEALTHY)
- CILANTRO LIME QUINOA (EASY & QUICK)
- VEGAN BREAKFAST BURRITO (EASY & HEALTHY)
- HOW TO MAKE TAMALES (VEGAN & STEP BY STEP)
- VEGAN BURRITO BOWL (EASY & HEALTHY)
So did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
These Mexican inspired vegan jackfruit tacos are so easy and quick. They are gluten-free, soy-free, healthy, versatile and perfect for weeknight dinners!
- 1 can young green jackfruit in water or brine.
- 1/2 yellow onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1/2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce plus 1 tsp of the adobo sauce (sub for favorite seasoning)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or other oil of choice)
- optional: 1/2 serrano or jalapeno pepper
- optional: a dash of maple syrup
- 6 to 8 Corn or gluten-free flour tortillas
- 2 servings Refried Black Beans or Pinto Beans
- 2 servings Guacamole
- 2 servings Salsa
- 2 servings Vegan Sour Cream
- Shredded Purple Cabbage
- Lime juice
- Prepare the jackfruit according to this post if you have never used jackfruit before.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add the diced onions and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions started to become translucent.
- Add the chopped/pulled jackfruit, minced garlic, lime juice, chipotle pepper in adobo sauce plus a little bit of the sauce (or any other seasoning of choice), water, maple syrup, and salt to the pot. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes stirring frequently.
- If you notice the jackfruit is sticking to the bottom of the pot, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water to keep it moist.
- Uncover the pot and turn the heat up to medium. Cook for another 2 minutes until you have the desired texture. Remove from the heat.
- Heat the tortillas in a pan, add the jackfruit, refried beans, guacamole, salsa, vegan sour cream and garnish with purple cabbage, lime juice, cilantro and radishes if desired. Enjoy!
If you never used jackfruit before, check out this post to learn how to prepare it!
I used small tortillas for mine, so how many tacos you might end up will depend on the size of the tortilla you use.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 10.5g
- Sodium: 740.5mg
- Fat: 6.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 38.1g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 6.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: jackfruit tacos, vegan tacos, vegan jackfruit tacos, vegan carnitas, soy-free tacos, how to make jackfruit tacos