This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This vegan key lime pie is gluten-free, dairy-free, healthy, naturally sweetened, and also easy to make! In addition, it only uses 8 ingredients, it is a plant-based treat and perfect combination of sweet and tart.
I love making these mini vegan key lime pies because they are the perfect portion size. That being said, you can also use the same recipe and make a big key lime pie. The best part is that the crust is made from simple ingredients instead of store-bought graham crackers.
I am a huge fan of raw, no bake healthy dessert as you can tell from my no bake brownies, vegan cheesecake, or no bake cookie dough bars. Since they come together quickly and no baking involved, you can make them any time.
Before we jump into this recipe, let's learn more about this delicious pie so you can get some tips. You will also learn how you can make them step by step.
What is the difference between a lime and a key lime
The limes grown in the Florida Keys tend to be small with a distinctive lime flavor that is tart, but not too acidic. Grocery store limes are generally Persian limes and also they are larger and more tart than the key limes.
Can I use regular limes in place of key limes
You can definitely use regular limes instead of key limes for this recipe but you will need to use fewer limes. Since key limes are very small, you end up using more.
I live in Florida so it was easy to find key limes for this recipe. But you can easily swap it for regular limes, I'll provide the measurements.
How to make vegan key lime pie step by step
You only need 8 ingredients to make this creamy homemade vegan key lime pie so it's really easy to make. It's also refined-sugar free.
Key limes or regular limes
You can't make a key lime pie without limes so if you can find key limes, it's great. If you can't, just sub for regular limes and your mini vegan key lime pies will still be delicious. We will use both lime juice and also lime zest to give this pie that amazing lime flavor!
Oats make the crust healthy and also gives a great texture. To keep this recipe gluten-free, I use gluten-free oats but you can just use regular oats as well.
For the crust, I love using walnuts because it has that crunch factor. You are also getting some healthy fats so it's a win-win!
If you didn't know, dates are my favorite ingredient to use for healthy sweets. I prefer Medjool dates because I find they are so soft inside.
For the filling, we will be using soaked raw cashews because it makes it so creamy. I prefer getting mylk cashews so I don't have to soak them as long.
For the filling, we will add a little bit of full-fat coconut milk but I find it doesn't give coconut flavor that much. You can also sub for coconut cream if you want the filling to be a thicker consistency.
To make the filling sweet, we will also add some maple syrup. But you can use another sweetener of choice if you like.
We will bake the crust for 10 minutes to harden so we will add a little bit of coconut oil. This will also help the crust not being very sticky and easier to work with.
How to make the crust for gluten-free vegan key lime pie
- First, in a food processor, add the oats, walnuts, dates, lime juice, lime zest, and coconut oil and then pulse it until you have a sticky dough for the crust.
- Next, line a standard muffin tin with 12 paper liners and then distribute the crust evenly among muffin tins. Press down with your fingers or spoon to flatten and then bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and set aside to cool.
How to make the filling
- In order to make the creamy filling, you need to soak the raw cashews overnight or 1 hour in very hot water.
- Then add the soaked cashews, coconut milk, lime juice, lime zest, and maple syrup into a high-speed blender. Blend until very creamy and smooth.
How to make vegan key lime pie
- First, pour the filling into muffin tins on top of the crust and then tap on the counter or use a spoon to release air bubbles.
- Top with lime zest and then freeze for 2-4 hours or until firm. Remove from the freezer for 10 minutes to thaw before serving.
- To make this recipe no-bake, you can simply keep the crust raw. It won't be as firm but still delicious!
- If you want to make a big pie instead of the mini version, you can just use the same measurements.
- You can add ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract into the filling for a little vanilla flavor.
- If your dates are too dry, soak them in hot water for 10 minutes before blending.
- If the filling is not getting creamy, you can add 1 tbs of coconut milk at a time for easier blending.
How to store homemade mini vegan key lime pie
You can store them covered in the freezer for up to 2 weeks, though best when fresh. If your pie filling is not runny, you can also keep them in the fridge for 3 to 4 days in an air-tight container.
This pie recipe is a crowd-pleaser and it comes together so quickly. In addition, it is:
- Gluten-free, soy-free and plant-based
- Sweet and tart
- Naturally sweetened
More vegan sweet recipes to try
- HOW TO MAKE GRANOLA (HEALTHY & EASY)
- BANANA ICE CREAM RECIPE (HEALTHY & VEGAN)
- PEANUT BUTTER ENERGY BALLS (HEALTHY & NO BAKE)
- GRANOLA BARS RECIPE (NO BAKE & HEALTHY)
- HOW TO MAKE A SMOOTHIE BOWL (VEGAN)
- NO BAKE COOKIE DOUGH BARS
- STRAWBERRY SORBET
- NO BAKE BROWNIES
So, did you make this recipe? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This vegan key lime pie is gluten-free, dairy-free, healthy, naturally sweetened, and easy to make! It only uses 8 ingredients, a plant-based treat and a perfect combination of sweet and tart.
For the crust
- ¾ cup oats (gluten-free if prefer)
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- 1 cup pitted dates (about 10)
- 2 tbs lime juice
- ¼ tsp lime zest
- 1 tbs coconut oil
For the filling
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a food processor, add the oats, walnuts, dates, lime juice, lime zest, and coconut oil. Pulse until you have a sticky dough.
- Line a standard muffin tin with 12 paper liners. Distribute the crust evenly among muffin tins. Press down with your fingers or spoon to flatten.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and set aside to cool.
- In a high-speed blender, add the soaked cashews, coconut milk, lime juice, lime zest, and maple syrup. Blend until very creamy and smooth for about 90 seconds.
- Pour the filling into muffin tins on top of the crust. Tap on the counter or use a spoon to release air bubbles.
- Top with lime zest and freeze for 2-4 hours or until firm. Remove from the freezer for 10 minutes to thaw before serving.
For no-bake version, keep the crust raw (crust will be softer)
To make a big pie, use the same measurements.
Add ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract into the filling for vanilla flavor.
If dates are too dry, soak them in hot water for 10 minutes before blending.
If the filling is not getting creamy, add 1 tbs of coconut milk add at a time for easier blending.
- Serving Size: 12
- Calories: 199
- Sugar: 16.6g
- Sodium: 3.7mg
- Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 27.1g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan key lime pie, mini key lime pies, gluten-free key lime pie, how to make vegan key lime pie