This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This is the best vegan lemon pasta because it is creamy, satisfying, quick, and also super easy to make! In addition, it's plant based, gluten free, healthy, and dairy free!
This vegan creamy pasta comes together quick so it's perfect for meal prep or weeknight dinners. Nutritional yeast really gives that cheesy flavor while lemon juice and zest make it refreshing.
You can also really customize this dish by adding some vegetables like asparagus. If you love easy pasta dishes, you can also try my one pot pasta, vegan mac and cheese, no boil pasta bake, vegan baked ziti or mushroom pasta!
Before we jump into the recipe, let's talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
How to Make Vegan Lemon Pasta
I use my favorite gluten-free pasta for this recipe but you can use any kind of pasta such us elbow, rotini or spaghetti. You can also use regular pasta if you don't prefer to use gluten free.
Plant based Milk
You can add more or less nutritional yeast so play around with it. If you don't care for the cheesy flavor, you can also omit it.
Lemon Juice & lemon zest
Star of the show! We will be using lemon juice and also lemon zest to give extra flavor! If you love lemon flavor, you can also try my vegan lemon rice soup recipe!
We will be adding a lot of garlic cloves to make this lemon pasta but you can add less if you prefer. I recommend you mince the garlic cloves so you don't end up with big chunks.
Arrowroot (sub for cornstarch) & Red pepper flakes
To make the sauce creamy and thick, we will add arrowroot but you can use cornstarch instead. Also, adding red pepper flakes give a spicy kick.
Oil & Salt
I usually cook with avocado oil but feel free to sub for olive oil. Also, always adjust to taste, it may need more salt!
How to make it
- First, start cooking the pasta according to the package directions. While it's cooking, add the arrowroot and 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl and mix well.
- You can start making the sauce by heating a large skillet or a saucepan over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and saute for 1 minute until it's fragrant. Now, add the rest of the sauce ingredients including the arrowroot and water mixture into the pan. Bring it to a boil, and then simmer for 15 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Now, you can add the cooked pasta into the creamy sauce and then mix well. That's it! You can serve as is or add vegan parmesan cheese on top and pepper to taste!
Tips & Variations
- If the sauce is too thick, you can also add more milk. If it's not thick enough, cook it a little longer or add more arrowroot.
- For even more cheesy flavor, sprinkle homemade parmesan!
- Add vegetables such as asparagus or broccoli.
- Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed!
How to store it
You can store this dish in the fridge, covered, for up to 3 to 4 days. You can reheat it in a saucepan but you may need a splash of water or milk because it will dry out.
This homemade creamy vegan lemon pasta recipe comes together so quickly and it is very easy and versatile. It is also:
- Satisfying comfort food
- Gluten free and dairy free
- Perfect for weeknight dinners
- Also so delicious!
More plant based recipes to try
- THAI PEANUT NOODLES (VEGAN & EASY)
- MEATBALLS RECIPE (GLUTEN-FREE & EASY)
- PAD THAI (EASY & HEALTHY)
- LENTIL BOLOGNESE
- PASTA SALAD (EASY & QUICK)
- BLACK BEAN QUINOA BURGER
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This is the best vegan lemon pasta because it is creamy, satisfying, quick, and super easy to make! It's plant based, gluten free, healthy, and dairy free!
- 10 to 12 ounces of pasta (gluten free if preferred)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 cups unsweetened plant based milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot (sub for cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, add the arrowroot and 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl and mix well. Start making the sauce by heating a large skillet or a saucepan over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and saute for 1 minute until it's fragrant.
- Add the rest of the sauce ingredients (milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, nutritional yeast, red pepper flakes, salt) including the arrowroot and water mixture into the pan. Bring it to a boil, and then simmer for 15 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked pasta into the creamy sauce and mix well. Serve as is or add vegan parmesan cheese on top and pepper to taste.
If the sauce is too thick, add more milk. If it's not thick enough, cook it a little longer or add more arrowroot.
Add vegetables such as asparagus or broccoli.
Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed!
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 402
- Sugar: 2.7g
- Sodium: 686.2mg
- Fat: 6.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 71.3g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Protein: 14g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan lemon pasta, creamy lemon pasta, vegan creamy pasta