This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This homemade vegan nut free pesto is dairy free, quick, and so easy to make! In addition, this vegan pesto is gluten free, perfect for nut free pesto pasta, sandwiches, or pizza!
I love creating healthy dips because they really give so much flavor to plant based dishes. Store-bought dips can be expensive and when you make it at home, you can control the ingredients.
Instead of using pine nuts, we'll be using raw sunflower seeds because they taste great and are allergy-friendly. If you like pestos, you can also try my vegan cashew pesto.
Before we jump into the recipe, let's learn some tips on how to make this delicious pesto.
How to make vegan nut free pesto
Raw Sunflower Seeds
We will be using raw sunflower seeds for the base because they work great in this recipe. I don't recommend using roasted sunflower seeds because it will change the flavor.
Olive oil and Water
For the liquid, we are keeping it simple and using olive oil and water. If you want this pesto to be thinner, you can always add a little more water.
Fresh Basil and Baby Spinach
Fresh basil is a must when it comes to pestos so we will be adding a lot of basil. I also like adding a little bit of baby spinach to sneak in some leafy greens.
Nutritional yeast, Lemon Juice and Garlic
While freshly squeezed lemon juice gives a tangy flavor, nutritional yeast provides a cheesy flavor. We will also add some garlic.
How to make it
- All you have to do is to add all the ingredients to a food processor and process until you achieve a smooth texture, scrape the sides as needed. Start with less water and gradually add more until you reach the desired consistency.
- I don't recommend using a blender because it will make it too creamy for pesto unless that's the texture you are looking for.
- You can use it immediately or store it in the fridge for 30 minutes for the flavors to fully develop before serving.
How to use it
- Make vegan nut free pesto pasta with it
- You can use it as a salad dressing
- Also, add it to sandwiches, pizza or wraps
Tips & Variations
- I recommend using a food processor instead of a blender for the pesto texture.
- If the vegan nut free pesto is too thick, you can also add more water slowly.
- Always adjust to taste and add more salt as needed!
How to store it
You can store this vegan pesto in the fridge, covered, for up to 2 to 3 days. You may need to add a little bit of water if the consistency got very thick so keep that in mind.
If you want to freeze it, you can do so by placing it in a freezer-friendly container and freeze for up to 3 months and thaw before using.
Frequently Asked Questions
I don't recommend it because it will change the taste but you can try.
Nutritional yeast give that cheesy flavor so if you don't use it, it won't have as much flavor.
Yes, you can add more basil instead of spinach.
This homemade vegan nut free pesto comes together so quickly and it is very easy. It is also:
- Gluten free and dairy free
- Allergy friendly
- Useful in many ways
- So delicious!
More plant based sauces & dips to try
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This homemade vegan nut free pesto is dairy free, quick, and so easy to make! It's gluten free, perfect for nut free pesto pasta, sandwiches, or pizza!
- ¾ cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2 cup fresh basil (loosely packed)
- ½ cup baby spinach (loosely packed)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water (adjust as needed)
- ½ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and process until you achieve a smooth texture, scrape the sides as needed. Start with less water and gradually add more until you reach the desired consistency.
- Use it immediately or store it in the fridge for 30 minutes for the flavors to develop before serving.
I recommend using a food processor instead of a blender for the pesto texture.
Always adjust to taste and add more salt as needed!
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 196
- Sugar: 0.2g
- Sodium: 200.1mg
- Fat: 18.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 5.1g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan pesto, nut free pesto, pesto with no nuts, dairy free pesto