This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This vegan one pot pasta is creamy, simple, healthy, and also easy to make. In addition, it's made with creamy tomato sauce, mushrooms, and spinach!
This vegan one pot pasta comes together quickly so it's perfect for meal prep or weeknight dinners. The best part is that since it is made in one pot, it's easy to clean up and more flavorful since it cooks in the sauce.
You can also really customize this dish by adding some more veggies like bell peppers. If you love easy pasta dishes, you can also try my vegan baked ziti, mushroom pasta, vegan mac and cheese, no boil pasta bake, vegan baked mac and cheese, lemon pasta, or vegan pesto pasta!
Before we jump into the recipe, let's talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
What type of pasta to use?
You can really use any shape of pasta you like so it's up to you. I find that brown rice pasta works the best for gluten free but you can use regular if you like.
How to Make Vegan One Pot Pasta
I use my favorite brown rice pasta for this recipe because I find that it cooks the best and the texture is great. You can also use regular pasta if you don't prefer to use gluten free.
Pasta Sauce & tomato paste
Using both of these ingredients gives so much flavor and tomato paste also helps thicken the sauce. You can use your favorite brand.
Mushrooms give so much flavor to the sauce and they also provide texture. I like using button mushrooms because they get soft.
You can add more or less nutritional yeast so play around with it. It gives a cheesy flavor and also tastes great in the sauce.
Adding spinach at the end of the cooking gives a pop of color and also a great way to eat more veggies. You can also add more spinach if you like.
Onion & Garlic
We will be adding a lot of garlic cloves because it gives so much flavor. When garlic cooks with onions, it provides an amazing aroma!
Italian Seasoning & Red pepper flakes
Adding red pepper flakes give a spicy kick but omit it if you don't like spicy. Italian seasoning works great in this recipe as well.
Oil & Salt
I usually cook with avocado oil but feel free to sub for olive oil. Also, always adjust to taste, it may need more salt!
How to make it
- You can start by heating a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot, you can add the onion and cook until soft. And then add the mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes.
- Now, add the garlic, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and saute for 1 minute until it's fragrant. And then add the pasta sauce, nutritional yeast, water or broth and bring it to a boil.
- Now, you can add the uncooked pasta into the sauce and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook the pasta 12 to 15 minutes until soft, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes (the bottom will burn if you don't), and then when it's cooked, turn off the heat and add the spinach and mix until wilted. You can serve as is or add vegan parmesan cheese on top and pepper to taste!
Tips & Variations
- Important: If you stop stirring it while cooking, the bottom will burn. Make sure to keep stirring every 2 to 3 minutes so it doesn't stick to the bottom.
- If the sauce is too thick and the pasta is not cooked, you can also add more water/broth. Cooking time will depend on the kind you are using.
- For even more cheesy flavor, sprinkle homemade parmesan!
- Add vegetables such as bell pepper, asparagus broccoli.
- Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed!
How to store it
You can store this dish in the fridge, covered, for up to 4 to 5 days. You can reheat it in a saucepan but you may need a splash of water or broth because it will dry out.
This homemade creamy vegan one pot pasta recipe comes together so quickly and it is very easy and versatile. It is also:
- Satisfying comfort food
- Gluten free and dairy free
- Perfect for weeknight dinners or meal prep
- Also so delicious!
More plant based recipes to try
- THAI PEANUT NOODLES
- MEATBALLS RECIPE (GLUTEN-FREE & EASY)
- PAD THAI (EASY & HEALTHY)
- LENTIL BOLOGNESE
- PASTA SALAD (EASY & QUICK)
- BLACK BEAN QUINOA BURGER
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This vegan one pot pasta is creamy, simple, healthy, and easy to make. It's made with creamy tomato sauce, mushroom and spinach!
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ cup pasta sauce
- 3 ½ cups water or broth
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 12 oz brown rice pasta (sub for regular pasta)
- 3 cups baby spinach
- Heat a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook until soft for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and saute for 1 minute until it's fragrant. Add the pasta sauce, nutritional yeast, water or broth, and bring it to a boil.
- Add the uncooked pasta into the sauce and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook the pasta 12 to 15 minutes until soft, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes (the bottom will burn if you don't). When it's cooked, turn off the heat and add the spinach and mix until wilted.
- You can serve as is or add vegan parmesan cheese on top and pepper to taste!
Important: If you stop stirring it while cooking, the bottom will burn.
If the sauce is too thick and pasta is not cooked, add more water/broth. Cooking time will depend on the kind you are using.
Add vegetables such as bell pepper, asparagus broccoli.
Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed!
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 261
- Sugar: 6.5g
- Sodium: 856.4mg
- Fat: 8.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 42.9g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Protein: 8.9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan one pot pasta recipe, one pot mushroom pasta, vegan mushroom pasta one pot