This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This vegan peanut curry is the best because it's healthy, plant based, made in one pot, and so easy to make! In addition, it's quick, gluten free, made with coconut milk, chickpeas, sweet potato, and perfect for meal prep!
This chickpea and sweet potato curry is perfect to enjoy by itself or with a side of rice. It is cozy, warming, hearty, and also uses mostly pantry staples.
I love curries as you can see from my butternut squash curry, vegan pumpkin curry, chickpea spinach curry, jackfruit curry or Thai red curry so this Thai inspired dish is another favorite. This recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner and also makes amazing leftovers just like my potato curry, red lentil dal or chana masala!
Before we jump into the recipe, let's talk about how you can customize it and learn some tips.
How to make Vegan Peanut Curry
Sweet potato & chickpeas
We will be using both sweet potatoes and chickpeas because the flavors really work together. They soak up all the flavors and also cook quick!
Peanut butter really makes this dish because it gives an amazing peanut taste. It also makes the sauce so creamy!
Using full fat coconut milk makes this dish very creamy and delicious as well. If you use light coconut milk, it will not be as creamy so keep that in mind.
Thai red curry paste and tomato paste
Thai red curry paste gives the sauce all the flavors so do not omit it. Tomato paste balances out the flavors and also gives an umami taste.
I like using yellow onions for cooking but you can also use white or red. I find that yellow onions caramelize a lot better.
This recipe calls for 3 cloves of garlic but you can add less or more. When garlic cooks with the onions, it gives an amazing aroma.
Fresh ginger really makes this dish so I don't recommend subbing for ground ginger. Also, it is important to mince the ginger really well so it blends with the flavors.
I like adding maple syrup to sweeten the sauce but you can omit it. You can also use coconut sugar or another sweetener of choice.
Lime juice gives a little tanginess so it works great. But you can use lemon juice if you prefer.
How to Make it
- You will start by cooking the onions using avocado oil or coconut oil in a large pan, dutch oven or pot over medium heat until caramelized.
- Next, you will add the garlic, ginger, Thai red curry, tomato paste, salt, and saute for another minute until fragrant.
- And then you will add the diced sweet potatoes and chickpeas, cook for a little longer. Now, add the coconut milk, peanut butter, maple syrup, and water, bring it to a boil and then cover, lower the heat to simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until sweet potatoes are soft. Turn off the heat and add lime juice, stir and garnish with cilantro or parsley and chopped peanuts!
Tips & Variations
- If the sauce is too thick, add ¼ cup of water at a time. You don't want it to be soupy, it should be a thick stew.
- If you want to make it spicy, you can add cayenne pepper.
- You can add other veggies such as carrots, green beans, or bell pepper.
- Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed!
What is Vegan Peanut Curry served with?
- Serve vegan peanut curry with sweet potato and chickpeas with basmati rice or brown rice. You can also try it with my cilantro lime quinoa recipe!
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley and chopped peanuts.
How to store vegan peanut curry
You can store the leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 to 6 days. They taste even better the next day! If the leftovers are too thick, you can add a splash of water before reheating it.
This vegan peanut curry recipe comes together so fast and it is very easy and uses pantry staples. It is also:
- Dairy free & Gluten free
- Hearty, warming & filling
- Flavorful & budget-friendly
- Quick & perfect for meal prep
- Also so delicious!
More Plant based stew and soup dishes to try
- BUTTERNUT SQUASH CURRY
- EASY CHILI RECIPE
- POTATO LEEK SOUP
- SPLIT PEA SOUP
- RED LENTIL SOUP RECIPE
- THAI RED CURRY RECIPE
So, did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This vegan peanut curry is the best because it's healthy, plant based, made in one pot, and so easy to make! It's quick, gluten free, made with coconut milk, chickpeas, sweet potato and perfect for meal prep!
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (sub for olive oil or coconut oil)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tbsp ginger (minced)
- 3 tbsp vegan Thai red curry paste
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large sweet potato ( peeled & cubed)
- 1 (15.5 ounces) can chickpeas (rinsed & drained)
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 1 can ( 13.5 oz) full fat coconut milk
- ⅓ to ½ cup water (adjust to preference)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- For serving, cilantro or parsley and chopped peanuts
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, add the oil and cook the onions until caramelized.
- Add the garlic, ginger, salt, Thai red curry paste, tomato paste, saute for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the sweet potatoes and chickpeas, cook for 2 more minutes. Add the coconut milk, peanut butter, maple syrup and water, bring it to a boil, cover, lower the heat to simmer and cook for 20 to 25 minutes until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Turn off the heat and stir the lime juice. Garnish with cilantro or parsley and chopped peanuts. Serve with rice.
If the sauce is too thick, add ¼ cup of water at a time.
Make it spicy by adding cayenne pepper.
Add other veggies such as carrots, green beans, or bell pepper.
Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed!
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 310
- Sugar: 8.1g
- Sodium: 530.9mg
- Fat: 21g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Protein: 8.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan peanut curry, vegan chickpea curry, vegan sweet potato curry, vegan chickpea and sweet potato curry