These vegan potato cakes are easy and quick to make for lunch, dinner and as an appetizer. They are gluten free, customizable, and a perfect way to use leftover mashed potatoes!
- 4 medium yukon gold potatoes (diced evenly, peeled if prefered)
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour (sub for all purpose flour)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 4 green onions (chopped)
- 1tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (sub for olive oil)
- Add the diced potatoes in a large pot, add water to cover the potatoes and cook over medium high heat for 12 to 15 minutes until soft and fork tender.
- Add the cooked potatoes in a large bowl, mash them with a fork or a potato masher. Add the rest of the ingredients in the bowl and mix well.
- Form 8 patties with hands (I use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to measure). Place a large skillet over medium high heat, add the oil and when the oil is hot, cook the patties for about 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Place them on a paper towel to remove the access oil.
- Serve with garlic aioli, sriracha mayo or tartar sauce.
Add peas, mushrooms, carrots or other vegetables to change up the flavor. Try adding hot sauce to make it spicy. Don't overcrowd the pan.
If the dough is too moist, you can add more flour.
Yukon gold potatoes work the best for this recipe so I don't recommend subbing for russet.
Coat them with gluten free bread crumbs before cooking for a crispier result.
Always adjust to taste and add more salt if needed!
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 181
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Sodium: 404.2mg
- Fat: 5.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Protein: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: mashed potato cakes, vegan mashed potato cakes, potato cakes with mashed potato