This homemade vegan potato corn chowder is creamy, plant based and so easy to make. It's gluten free, dairy free and perfect for meal prep.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 medium yellow potatoes (peeled and diced small)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 3 and 1/2 cups frozen or fresh sweet corn
- 1 teaspoon salt ( adjust to taste)
- 2 and 1/2 cups water or low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup raw cashews and 1 and 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- Chopped green onions for garnish
- Start by soaking the raw cashews by adding them in a bowl and cover with hot boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes, rinse and drain.
- While the cashews are soaking, place a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, add the oil and when oil is hot, add the onions and cook until soft for 5 minutes. And then add the potatoes and celery, cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the corn into the pot, cook for 2 minutes. And then add the garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant
- In the meantime, add the rinsed and drained soaked cashews into a high-speed blender with 1 and 1/2 cups of water and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Now, add the water/broth, cashew mix that you blended, salt, thyme, and bay leaf into the pot, turn the heat up to boil, and then simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- After taking out the bay leaf, use an immersion blender, and blend for a few seconds (do not blend the soup completely, leave a lot of texture). You can also very carefully blend 1 and 1/2 cups of the vegan potato corn chowder in a blender and then add it back to the pot.
- Garnish with chopped green onions.
Make sure to dice the potatoes small because they will cook faster.
If the chowder is too thick, add more water or broth.
If it's too watery, cook it a little bit longer.
You can make it spicy by adding red pepper flakes or smoked paprika.
Always adjust to taste! Add more salt if needed.
- Serving Size: 4-6
- Calories: 539
- Sugar: 12.5g
- Sodium: 998.4mg
- Fat: 26g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 67.6g
- Fiber: 8.6g
- Protein: 16.8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan corn chowder, dairy free corn chowder, potato corn chowder