This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This is the best vegan potato salad recipe because it’s so creamy, classic, and quick to make. In addition, it is easy, gluten-free, and customizable!
My husband loves potato salad so I make this recipe often. I love that it comes together so fast and also when it sits in the fridge, it even tastes better just like my avocado potato salad!
Potato salad is a classic for summer picnics, BBQs, and potlucks! This dish is such a crowd-pleaser and also it doesn’t taste different from the non-vegan version.
Before we jump into the recipe, let’s learn some tips and variations.
Is Potato Salad Vegan
Most potato salad is not vegan because it contains mayo which is made from eggs. This recipe uses vegan mayo so it is easy to make it vegan.
I personally like Sir Kensington’s or Vegenaise vegan mayo but you can use your favorite one.
How to make Vegan Potato Salad
My favorite potatoes are Yukon gold because I don’t have to peel them and they are creamy. But you can use any type of other potatoes such as red or purple.
Adding a little bit of chopped celery gives this salad a little crunch and also a unique taste. The recipe calls for 1 celery stalk but you can add more or less if you want.
Red onions are perfect for this potato salad but you can use any type. If you are not a fan of raw onion taste, I suggest green onions (scallions) since they are milder.
Adding capers really gives a salty taste and also a tangy flavor. But if you are not a fan, you can omit or sub for chopped dill pickles.
Fresh dill really makes this dish so I recommend not omitting it. It also smells amazing, you won’t regret it!
Brown or dijon mustard gives a little tanginess and also a unique taste. But you can sub for yellow mustard if that’s what you have.
I used homemade vegan mayo but you can use storebought instead. You can also use less mayo or swap for simple vinegarette or creamy avocados.
I usually use pink Himalayan sea salt in my cooking but you can use regular sea salt. You can also use celery salt instead to give more flavor!
How to make the Best Potato Salad step by step
- First, we will cook the potatoes in a large pot, cool and then cut them into quarters.
- In the meantime, you can dice the red onion, celery and chop the dill. And then add the cooked potatoes, onions, celery, dill, and capers into a large bowl along with mayo, mustard, and salt.
- Now you can mix all the ingredients gently and then taste to see if it needs more salt.
Tips & Variations
Since this easy salad is so versatile, here are some variations you can make:
- Avoid overcooking the potatoes so you don’t end up with mashed ones.
- Place the salad in the fridge until completely cool for at least 1 hour for better taste.
- You can add bell peppers for some color and texture, also change the flavor.
- You can also try adding smoked paprika or another favorite seasoning to make it spicy!
- Instead of mayo, you can also add avocados and a simple vinaigrette for a lighter option.
- Always adjust to taste!
How to store potato salad
You can store the leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 4 days but best to eat within 24 hours.
It takes 20 minutes to make this quick, easy and also versatile salad. This salad is also :
- Variety of textures and flavors
- And delicious!
So did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, Selin
More potato recipes to try
- EASY NICOISE SALAD RECIPE
- BUTTERNUT SQUASH CURRY
- CHILI FRIES (HEALTHY & EASY)
- ROASTED POTATOES RECIPE (AIR-FRYER OR BAKED)
- SPLIT PEA SOUP (STOVETOP OR INSTANT POT)
- VEGAN POTATO CURRY
- POTATO CAKES
This is the best vegan potato salad recipe because it’s so creamy, classic, and quick to make. It is easy, gluten-free, and customizable!
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Turn the heat to high, bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are slightly fork-tender for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and cool slightly. After cooled, cut them into quarters. Add them into a large bowl.
- Add mayo, mustard, celery, onions, dill, capers, and salt into the bowl. Stir gently to combine and serve.
Don’t overcook the potatoes.
Place the salad in the fridge until completely cool for at least 1 hour for better taste.
Add bell peppers for some color and texture.
Add smoked paprika or another favorite seasoning to make it spicy!
Instead of mayo, add avocados and a simple vinaigrette for a lighter option.
Always adjust to taste, add more salt if needed!
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 304
- Sugar: 3.3g
- Sodium: 262.6mg
- Fat: 5.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 57.5g
- Fiber: 7.3g
- Protein: 7.6g
- Cholesterol: 0g
Keywords: best potato salad, best potato salad recipe, best vegan potato salad recipe, vegan potato salad