This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This creamy, tangy and rich vegan sour cream recipe is perfect for topping your favorite Mexican dishes like tacos, burritos, and also burrito bowls! In addition, it’s made from pantry staples, easy, soy-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, healthy, raw, quick and uses just a few ingredients!
This recipe has a perfect consistency so it’s an ideal replacement for regular sour cream made out of dairy. I usually make a big batch and keep it in the fridge so I can just dollop on my favorite plant-based dishes.
Before we jump into the recipe, let’s talk more about this simple dip so you can get some tips, learn how to make it step by step. I will also share some variations and how to store this delicious sour cream!
How to make vegan sour cream step by step
So, you will not believe how quick and delicious this dairy-free sour cream recipe is and you know what is in it! There are so many store-bought brands but most of them contain unnecessary ingredients or additives.
You only need 4 main ingredients to make this dip and also most of the ingredients are pantry staples! So, let’s get into it!
Our base is raw cashews because it makes this delicious sauce very creamy and rich just like my ranch dressing and caesar dressing recipes. Also, If you have a high-speed blender you only need to soak the cashews in boiling water for 15 minutes!
Nutritional yeast gives this vegan sour cream recipe a cheesy flavor but you can omit it. You can also put less or more if you like.
Freshly squeezed lemon juice gives this dip a tangy flavor, also it helps to preserve it better. You can swap it for lime juice as well.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Using apple cider vinegar will provide that unique sour cream taste so I recommend not substituting it.
How to make dairy-free sour cream
- First, if you don’t have a high-speed blender, start by soaking the cashews overnight. If you have a high-speed blender then you can soak them in hot water for about 15 minutes so it blends easier.
- Next, add the cashews, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and water into the blender and then blend on high until you reach the desired consistency.
- Important: If your blender’s base is large, you may need to double the recipe for better blending.
Tips for making vegan sour cream
- If you notice that the sour cream is too thick, you can add about 1 tablespoon of water for a thinner consistency.
- Also, always adjust to taste! So, you can add more apple cider vinegar for tangier taste or more nutritional yeast for cheesier taste.
- When you let the sour cream sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes, it will get thicker so keep that in mind.
- As I mentioned before, if you have a blender that has a larger base, the dip may not be as creamy because it’s not enough ingredients. If you run into this problem, you can double the recipe so you get a better consistency!
This recipe is customizable so here are some suggestions for variations to change it up:
- Add chopped fresh chives for mild onion flavor and also it’s a great garnish!
- You can also add some onion powder for more oniony flavor.
- Make it more cheesy by doubling the nutritional yeast!
- For nut-free options: you can use coconut cream, non-dairy yogurt or tofu instead of cashews but this replacement will change the texture and measurements!
How to store homemade vegan sour cream
So, you can store homemade dairy-free sour cream covered up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
Uses for this delicious vegan sour cream
- Dip tortilla chips!
- Top your tacos, burritos, and burrito bowls!
- Add it to stuffed sweet potatoes
- Dollop on your buddha bowls
This tangy and delicious recipe comes together so quickly. It is also:
- Gluten-free, soy-free and plant-based
- Healthy and simple
- Great dairy-free alternative
- Rich & creamy
- Easy to make
- Insanely delicious!
More healthy dips and sauces to try
- BEST HOMEMADE GUACAMOLE RECIPE (EASY & HEALTHY)
- BEST CREAMY HUMMUS (EASY & OIL-FREE!)
- HOMEMADE SALSA (STEP BY STEP)
- VEGAN AVOCADO CREMA (HEALTHY & EASY)
- THAI PEANUT SAUCE (5-MINUTE)
- GREEK SALAD DRESSING (HOMEMADE & EASY)
- HOW TO MAKE TZATZIKI SAUCE (VEGAN & EASY)
- CHEESE SAUCE (EASY & CREAMY)
So did you make this? I’d love for you to leave a comment and rate the recipe. You can also share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest and tag me on Instagram using @avocadocentric or #avocadocentric! xo, SelinPrint
This creamy, tangy and rich vegan sour cream recipe is perfect for topping your favorite Mexican dishes like tacos, burritos, and also burrito bowls! It’s made from pantry staples, easy, soy-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, healthy, raw, quick.
- If you don’t have a high-speed blender, start by soaking the cashews overnight. If you have a high-speed blender, soak them in hot water for about 15 minutes, drain and rinse.
- Add the cashews, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and water into the blender and blend on high until you reach the desired consistency.
Important: If your blender’s base is large, you may need to double the recipe for easier blending.
For thinner consistency, add about a tbsp of water.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 201
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Sodium: 7.1mg
- Fat: 15.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 11.8g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 5.8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan sour cream, vegan sour cream recipe, dairy-free sour cream, how to make vegan sour cream, cashew sour cream